Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said my last goodbye to the best car I ever owned in my life. It was a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that my co-worker bought new in 1990. In 1997, he had 152,000 miles on it and the computer crapped out on him. He said he would sell it for $400, the cost of the new tires he just put on it because he was afraid the car was gonna start nickle and dimeing him to death. I car pooled with the guy and he (being an accountant) was almost anal in his maintenance. Oil changes were done BEFORE 3000 mile were reached. Tranny fluid was changed BEFORE 20,000 miles were reached. I bought the car and replaced the computer and had some other work done by my trusted mechanic for a total repair bill of $214 including tax. I drove it for 2 years, with absolutely no problems. This car had power everything, seats, mirrors, windows, etc. Having previously owned trucks, a Ford Pinto, and a '65 VW Bug, I absolutely loved the luxury of this car.

At 214,000 miles, the engine blew a head gasket. My trusted mechanic said repairing such a high milage engine was risky, so we put a low milage junkyard motor in it. Since then, I drove the car every day to and from work, only replacing wear items and changing fluids. And like an old faithful horse, it started every day, but age was catching up with the old girl. At 285,000, the tranny was starting to hunt gears, and soon I had a CV joint whining. The air conditioning hadn't worked in 3 summers, and the driver's window glass was no longer attached to the mechanism. I had worn the seat through, and the brakes, tires, and engine all needed money spent on them. So I took it to the local auto salvage yard and got $40 for it 3 days ago and I'm still mourning the loss. The odometer read 288, 623. I had the car for almost 7 years and put 140,000 miles on it with a total investment of less than $4500 not including tires, oil, and gas. I can only hope I find another one like it someday. What a great car.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
wow 140000 miles for 4500$ cant complain there.. still too bad.. hate to see an old car go...

it would cost you about 6 times that to buy new..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that you had to get rid of the Olds. 285k is a lot of miles so I would say you more than got your moneys worth!
:cry:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I had a 1991 Ford Ranger 4 cyl that had 260,000 on it and the original engine. I dont think Im over it yet and its been 3 years. It was my first truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts