Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,
I got a Husqvarna Lgt2654 about 3years ago and untill now never had a problem with the Kholer command engine.
At first it would die when i was mowing and it was hot, now it wont run with a load (mower engaged) on it. It will sit there and run at idle all day, but when I engage the mower it starts to die, like no fuel.

1. Fuel tank cleaned and fresh fuel and new fuel filter.
2. Spark plugs have NO build up on either one and spark is at both.
3. Gas tank vent is clear and open.

I was thinking coil pack, but plugs look great.
Then i thought fuel pump, but it runs without load (mower engaged).

What do you all think?

Thank you,
O.M.F

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Hey OMF! Do you have a manual choke on it? Does it work under load with a bit of choke? I bet the carb in plugged up. I just went through this same episode with my Honda generator. Even though I drained the fuel when storing it, there was just enough residual to foul things up.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey OMF! Do you have a manual choke on it? Does it work under load with a bit of choke? I bet the carb in plugged up. I just went through this same episode with my Honda generator. Even though I drained the fuel when storing it, there was just enough residual to foul things up.
The choke cable is frozen.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
OK, not to cause you to panic BUT you need to be aware..... Kohler has had all kinds of governor problems with the SV Series Engines (Courage), especially the SV735 (26Hp). Are you sure your engine is a Command and not a Courage? Most 2654 Huskys were a Courage..... The classic sign is idles fine, but falls on it's face under a load. Some will even transit fine around the yard, but the minute you put a load on the engine, it might as well be a boat anchor. I'm not saying this is your problem, but the 1st thing I think of when I hear someone say a SV series engine won't operate under a load is GOVERNOR from past experience.:(

Kohler has a 3 year warranty on their homeowner engines, so maybe you'll get lucky. Your local Kohler Dealer is aware of the problems. If he gives you the classic "I've never heard of that before", he's lying to you.....

Both the Command and Courage Factory Service manuals are posted in the Manuals section of this forum. The easiest way to tell a Courage is that they don't have a conventional oil pan set-up. They are a "Bucket" engine....

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, not to cause you to panic BUT you need to be aware..... Kohler has had all kinds of governor problems with the SV Series Engines (Courage), especially the SV735 (26Hp). Are you sure your engine is a Command and not a Courage? Most 2654 Huskys were a Courage..... The classic sign is idles fine, but falls on it's face under a load. Some will even transit fine around the yard, but the minute you put a load on the engine, it might as well be a boat anchor. I'm not saying this is your problem, but the 1st thing I think of when I hear someone say a SV series engine won't operate under a load is GOVERNOR from past experience.:(

Kohler has a 3 year warranty on their homeowner engines, so maybe you'll get lucky. Your local Kohler Dealer is aware of the problems. If he gives you the classic "I've never heard of that before", he's lying to you.....

Both the Command and Courage Factory Service manuals are posted in the Manuals section of this forum. The easiest way to tell a Courage is that they don't have a conventional oil pan set-up. They are a "Bucket" engine....

Kohler
7000 series Pro
KT 745
26hp
747cc

Spec Ps-KT745-3011
Serial 4508237443

According to the numbers the Engine is a Command Pro.
The choke is Smart-Choke™ technology "bimetal thermostat system".

But no matter the series it sound like I am having the same issues.

I am looking for paper work for the purchase date for warranty, but can anyone tell me how to test it and or fix it if out of warranty ?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Glad to hear it's not a courage.... I just uploaded the Kohler factory service manual for the KT series engines to the manuals section of this forum.

Pretty good trouble shooting trees in there. Hopefully it will give you some direction and there are always guys on here that are willing to help all they can.

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear it's not a courage.... I just uploaded the Kohler factory service manual for the KT series engines to the manuals section of this forum.

Pretty good trouble shooting trees in there. Hopefully it will give you some direction and there are always guys on here that are willing to help all they can.
Had the manual but not sure where to start.
The t shooting did not mention the issues i am having but I will have to dig deeper into it. thanks for the help.

O.M.F

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Does it die immediately and completely, or slowly wind done like you pinched off a fuel line and it's starving for fuel?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Put a VOM on the battery terminals and see if you get a big voltage drop when you engage the clutch.

A bad clutch could be dropping the voltage enough that the anti-backfire solenoid on the carb is either partially, or completely closing off the fuel flow. It takes around 10.5VDC to hold the solenoid open.

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to free the choke cable, and yes it will run better under a load but after it warms up it wants to die, then it will run for 30 seconds or so then want to die again(sputters).

I also noticed that when I try to go up a hill it WILL die. I can't even get it back flat before it dies.

So to summarize:
1. Idling ok (flat land)
2. Under load, bad (sputters)
3. Voltage good (13.5 to 13.29 to 13.5) When pto engaged.
4. When sputtering choke helps keep running.
5. When on a hill it dies (sputters and dies).
6. Spark plugs have no build up.
7. Fuel fresh.
8. New fuel filter and Air filter.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
OK, I'm confused...
"The choke cable is frozen"
"The choke is Smart-Choke technology"
"I was able to free the choke cable"

According to the Model/spec you provided, it is indeed Smart-Choke, but Smart-Choke doesn't have a traditional "choke cable". What exactly are you disconnecting, the air vane pull off linkage"? Here's a video that explains how Smart-Choke works and why you can't just disconnect that air vane linkage. Pay particular attention to the part where that air vane/linkage brings the choke plate to the 40% open position in the "Running/warmup" mode. If it was "Stuck"..... That goes back to the Service Bulletin I sent you.

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i was kind of bewildard when my son told me it had the choke cable and smart choke but he disconnected the stepper and thermostat motor which will disable it. I will look at it later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts