Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people will try anything. These things look like the Little Tikes carpentry set!

From Popular Mechanics.com

"Rubbermaid is well known for its products that range from kitchenware which is nearly indestructable to garden structures designed to withstand wind and weather. So it makes sense that the company would take a crack at hand tools. Still, we're surprised to see them. The hand tool market, huge though it may be, is over-served by dozens of companies competing for market share.

Still, some of those companies don't have the well-earned clout that Rubbermaid does. It knows how to make fine home and garden products, we'll say that. More important, homeowners know Rubbermaid, and that brand equity (as marketing people say) counts for a lot.

We looked at a sample tool kit and liked what we saw. We wouldn't try to build a house with these tools, but we would count on them for basic home repair. They're well made, nicely designed and packaged in an attractive soft-side tool pouch. The 8-piece set consists of a torpedo level, 16-ounce claw hammer, 10-in. adjustable wrench, 6-in. long-nose pliers, and a pair of tongue-and-groove pliers, a 12-ft. tape measure, ratcheting screwdriver, and box for fasteners and hollow-wall anchors. It costs about $40. At this writing, the kit and other tools in the line are sold in Wal-Mart and Target stores. For more information, go to the Rubbermaid Web site at www.rubbermaidtoughtools.com"

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Nieghbor has a rubbermaid garbage can house

It took a beating in the wind storm we had a few weeks ago. The roof is all cracked . Cold weather wind and a good flop thru his yard did not do it any good.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
link don't work

leolav the link you gave don't work.
Jody

Link fixed ----------- Admin :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was just a quote from PM's website.

If you go to popular mechanics.com, you will see it under home improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Picture

Here is what happens when the wind blows your garbage bin around the yard!:barf:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
what can i say leolav... I'm a sissy....
I like the rubber handles, Cambel hausfeld (professional line) is making their air tools with similar rubber handles... ergonomically correct...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing against rubber handles, but I would guess they are being made offshore and are not heavy duty at all. Think "wal-mart special" quality.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
Yep! Looks like something you'd find in a bargain clearance bin at Tractor Supply. Made in China late at night.

Why late at night? Not during the Rising Sun or the off of the shore of Mandalay where the flying fishes play? I thought it would be hard to work at night in China town --- with all of the dragons dancing around the town, chewing eggrolls and swizzle sticks filled with duck sauce.

PS - I ran out of my medicine yesterday --- :D :D :D

Andy

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
wife

Originally posted by tisenberg
Nice set to keep in a cabinet for the wife. Heck I might grab it if I am doing something real small.
The only thing in that kit my wife would use is the hammer to put more holes in the wall for me to fill when i go to paint the next time. And i have 3 hammers now dont need more.
Jody

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Since they are rubbermaid I dought that they are any cheaper than heavy duty tools. I would rather go with the heavy duty ones.

Just my $0.02

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Adamr88
Since they are rubbermaid I dought that they are any cheaper than heavy duty tools. I would rather go with the heavy duty ones.

Just my $0.02

Adam
I'm with you on that. Looks real Dollar store.

Can't blame them, the people are what want this kind of thing. Buy cheap, then toss when it brakes.

Good tools are worth the money.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Good tools are worth the money.
Here! Here! Buy quality first, it should last you a lifetime. That is of course, if you don't lose them or buy a second one because you can't remember what you did with the first one. It's called CRS, we all eventually get it.:smiles:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Adamr88
I think that the farthest thing that I would ever do with those tools is hang a picture.

Adam
LOL yup. They would have a use in my house though. They could be the tools that get lost in the junk drawer. I am sick of my good ones doing that.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A Top 5 tool things that drive me crazy:

1) My wife using my chisels as prybars
2) People who borrow stuff and don't take care of it.
3) People who borrow tools without asking
4) People who constantly ask you to do things for them and sit there and watch you do all the work with your tools.
5) and crappy quality tools that fail when you need them most.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts