Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I had a Renwal(?) model rotary engine when I was a kid. It had moving parts powered by a battery and a see-through engine block. Not many moving parts in a rotary engine!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had the Revell kit also. I was really disappointed after building it. Like you said not many moving parts.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I just did a search on ebay. Mine was a Renwal. It was about the size of a shoebox. It was pretty neat to see the rotors turn. Here is a link Renwal model rotary There is also a Renwal radial see-through model kit that is over $500. WASP motor

I also had the V-8 model

Sorry to hijack your thread, Mark! :)

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember those see through engine kits, but I never saw a rotary version. The hardware store where my grandfather worked had a toy store upstairs. I think it was a V8 model they had on display. I could not convince dad to get it for me and I was too young to have money to buy it. Thinking about it now, dad may have just been afraid he could not figure out how to assemble it with me. :lmao:

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My dad made the mistake that led me to a lifetime passion of working with my hands instead of being a accountant like my mother wanted me to be.
He bought a Revel model of a V8 engine when I was 9 years old and I assembled it with my dad's help. Today after 35 years I still love to make mechanical things run and I have a lifetime interest in working on the mechainical things. I have been a vehicle mechanic and airplane mechainic all my life.
I never got a chance to put a Rotary model together but I have taken apart a real Rotary engine apart and reassemblied one on a overhaul in a RX7 Mazda sportscar. Very interesting but you really need a good shop manual to do it. The most critical part in these engines are the apex seals.cruisin

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Does anyone know if the Wankle engine is currently available in a production anything?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
Does anyone know if the Wankle engine is currently available in a production anything?
Yup, the new Mazda RX8. SMOKING!!! car. Over 200hp in a 1.3L not turbo motor.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
My first car was a 1973 Mazda RX-3. That car went like the devil. It had a 4 bbl carb and I couldn't keep a muffler on it because the car would constantly back-fire and blow them up. It also burnt oil at a rate of about a quart a fill-up. When it was 7 years old, it was nearly ready for the junk yard due to rust.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Wheely_boy, That was a common problem with all of the early Mazdas in both the engine and the body. They would go like a rap*d ape (Monkey) :D and would love the oil because the apex seals were not that good, The bodies were just pure junk in the midwest and eastern part of the U.S. because of the salt they used on the roads in the winter. By the time they got to the RX-7 they became better cars and they would go like the rap*d monkey and wouldn't rust away and use lots of oil and backfire.:cry:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Ya the RX7's of the late 70's, and 80's realy brought the motor into the main stream. Lots of them still kicking out there to this day. Being in a Mazda dealership I get a handle on whats out there. Still get a few calls a month on the first gen 7's [79-85] And almost a daly call on 2nd gen 7's [86-92] These motors just run and run, only time we realy see a problem is on cars that get stored in the winter. The daly drivers are getting WELL over 100k on those motors.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
They have improved them alot. The old ones rx2,3,4 were REAL bad. Over the years they have gotten better. The motor in the RX8 is realy to new to get any idea on. They do use a bit of oil, I cant remember what the spec's are. I think it was a qt every 3k, but I could be wrong.

BTW for people that don't know the rotarys, it was not a sealing problem that caused the oil burning, they had a small injection pump that meaters a little oil into the cumbustion chamber.

Realy a cool motor. And the new ones are MUCH "cleaner" then the old ones. The old ones smelled like a two stroke going down the street.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I had mine I was 16 and working at a gas station. Back then oil came in cans and we would take the emptied cans with the spout still attached and stick it in a empty gallon jug. You'd be surprised how much oil we collected that way. That's the oil I put into my RX-3. It was a mixture of every grade ARCO made including some graphite oil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I still remember both of my RX-7's........from days gone by. 1983 with a 12-A 4 bbl......and a 1984 13-B feul Injected...

the '83 left a State Trooper one morning.(4:30 am ) NANA
on a straight away/..... between 2 communities.. nothing but road and Marsh grass on each side.... I hit 146 before i had to slow for an upcomming curve...... the rev alarm was beeping.... but it didnt blow up...... and I DID NOT get a speeding ticket that night:D

now I'm old..... and 46 is a little fast for me:eek:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by P71
I still remember both of my RX-7's........from days gone by. 1983 with a 12-A 4 bbl......and a 1984 13-B feul Injected...

the '83 left a State Trooper one morning.(4:30 am ) NANA
on a straight away/..... between 2 communities.. nothing but road and Marsh grass on each side.... I hit 146 before i had to slow for an upcomming curve...... the rev alarm was beeping.... but it didnt blow up...... and I DID NOT get a speeding ticket that night:D

now I'm old..... and 46 is a little fast for me:eek:
..And we are glad you are around to tell the story!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
thanx...... me too .... Foolish and young..... just glad i lived to be an old fat , bald, toothless, idiot...>>>>>>thats just like being a BABY again aint it??2funny

1 - 20 of 24 Posts