Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime soon I plan on building me an offroad rig out of a f-250 or f-350 ford. Would it be over kill to put a 2 1/2 ton rockwell axle in the front and rear? I want this to be able to take ALOT of off roading. Yes i know about cost too. Would it be just better to put dana 80's or dana 70's under it instead?

Ryan

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
You do know if you use the 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axle in the front you will have to have hydraulic steering and some states don't allow that on the roads. So if you go that route and plan to drive it on the road check with your states DOT to see if it legal.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You don't really need to go that big on the Dana axles either. 60s are stout enough to handle 44s on a 1 ton. If you want to brand defect, you could use a Corp 14 bolt in the back. They're cheap & plentiful!

What do you plan on doing with the rig? Mud, trails, rocks, what? Do you even have a truck yet? You should shop around. You can often find something that has most of the beef you want/need.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I would stick with 60's. ALL kinds of parts for them, and a lot of people know how to work on them. Put the money in to stuf you can get fixed, becouse nomatter WHAT you have, something will ALWAYS break.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
One thing to keep inmind. If you plan on trail running this tuuck, a full size, 1 ton is REALLLLL big!! there is a reason all those guys run Jeeps. A smaller truck is much better in the woods. Not that a full size is bad, just plan for some tin "mods" in the tight stuff:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts