Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my ring on ,now how do know when I have top center.
I think I know but would like to have it confirmed by the
"experts". Is it number one piston up and both valves closed?

Can the pressure plate be installed 180 degrees out of time
or will only go on one way.

Later
Avery

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Yeppie!

Correctly indexed, #1 cylinder will be TDC and both valves closed. Double check that both #4 valves are wide open and #4 is TDC.

BTW, The piston should be on TDC of the cylinder you are adjusting. If you will start with the #1 cylinder and make a mark on the front pulley with a whiteout pen etc and then a reference point to it on the block somewhere then make another mark on the pulley 180 degrees across. After you have adjusted the first #1 cylinder to get the next cylinder in the firing order to TDC turn the engine untill the next mark on the pulley is at the reference point mark and adjust the second cylinder in the firing order. Do this turning the engine 180 degrees each time till the next pulley mark is at the reference mark until all four cylinders have been adjusted or checked. This procedure keeps you from having to find the compression stroke on all the rest of the cylinders.

I personally have never installed it backwards but I have heard that it could be done. (Heard stories of people having to resplit the tractor. What a pain) I notice and take note of the existing configuration before I attempt a swap.

-Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Hey Andy:

That is good info, infact there is a guy in another board that needs this answer. If it is ok with you I will paste it in a reply
to him.

Later
Avery

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by avmcalister
Hey Andy:

That is good info, infact there is a guy in another board that needs this answer. If it is ok with you I will paste it in a reply
to him.

Later
Avery
Invite him over here to Tractor Forum. We would love to have him as a new member! :thumbsup: I am sure we would all benefit from the experience and knowledge of more members.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Idea Chief

Don't know why I didn't think of it. Maybe because I am new to this forum. I will do that now.

Later
Avery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts