Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years in the NFL, a great start to a career with the Miami Mudfish, setting I think 5 or 8 records or something just gives it up, after supposedly failing his 3rd drug test, the last failed test after he got back from Europe.

"I did not quit football because I failed a drug test...I failed a drug test because I am ready to quit the NFL."

I have no problems with a little partying, but to walk away from a multi-million dollar contract so he can sit back and twist up a big fatty? I just don't understand. :smoking:

It did make for an interesting discussion with my 11 year old, whos dream is to make it to the NFL draft. He likes Ricky Williams alot, and I brought it to his attention that he had it made, and gave it all up for drugs. Zack simply said "Wow! He's stupid!"

Greg

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
amazing that was the dumbest thing ive ever heard... ihe gives up millions for the ganja?
you'd think he'd wait till he retires and restart his habbit up...

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Ricky suffers from extreme psychological stress & social anxiety disorder. Ricky has never been truly "right in the head" going from HS to Texas and beyond. He was always a bit reserved and
held back from public attention during his life. I think he wanted to be a star but didn't fully grasp the additional loss of self that this also carried with it. People can hoot, holler, condemn and make fun of his decisions, but in the end they are his decisions. I firmly believe that smoking pot was not the reason he left the NFL, it was a way for him to deal with the anxiety disorder and lack of peace in his life with himself. Not saying it was the most productive nor positive message for himself or others, but in the end --- the stress of the NFL (which is normal) but now compounded with his own personal disorders, simply proved too much for him at this phase in his life.

Believe what you want, talk about what you want --- but in the end it is his life and his decision and I think that he has to find a way to come to terms with himself and face reality head-on which may be what he is seeking now for himself. It is a shame to many others who simply see the $ or the fame, but miss the person. Is his loss and problems more important because he happens to play in the NFL? I wish him the best and sincerely hope that he is able to find a sense of real understanding and peace in his life. He has seen numerous doctors while here in New Orleans and had always been seeking some help with his problems, but this time he found a way out in drugs rather than continuing his therapy.

Best of luck, Ricky.
Andy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Drugs is drug and they aren't legal. Drugs you get from a therapist or other doctor are a whole different deal.

Drugs screw up more people than just the people that are using. In my opinion if he fails a drug test for the NFL he should be brought up on posession charges and sent to jail. He can't deny using, it is on the test.

I hope can get his life together reguardless if he ever plays football again.:argh:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Everybody that uses drugs has a choice of continuing or stopping. Most use until they hit their personal bottom, where they just want to give up everything. At that point, the reality of what they have done to themselves sets in and they can get sober and climb back up, or cash out. I hope Ricky's bottom isn't a bad one and he does not destroy anyone else's life or his own, and that he gets peace and some joy in his life. That is the hardest part of trying to convince a user that the road only goes down, there is no up. When they are rich and still enjoying the nice house and expensive clothes, they just can't see it. I don't want anyone to end up pennyless in a crackhouse, as that is a long way down. But once involved in the world of drugs and alcohol, it is hard to get into your mind where the road you are on is leading. There are several famous people that threw fabulous carreers away, Darrel Strawberry, Mercury Morris, Jan Michael Vincent, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and the list goes on. Fame is a tough mistress. I can see why some want to escape the crap that comes with fame and wealth. Better to buy an island like Marlon Brando, or become a recluse like Garbo, and at least keep your home and family, than to end up in a ditch, dead.

Wow, sorry for rambling on so much. It is just that I have a friend who has been sober for 14 years now dying from liver disease incurred from the old days. He would have died 13 1/2 years ago if he hadn't sobered up, so these past years were a kind of bonus, but the good things he has been doing, friendships he has built, family he became reaquainted with, still make it seem unfair. He might get a transplant, but his condition is bad enough he might not qualify. We all make mistakes and bad choices, and then have to live with them, and sometimes it is rough. Hindsight showed him what a big mistake he made, the upside is he helped others get out earlier. I hope someone is able to help Ricky.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Very well spoken words there, Bontai. We have the exact same outlook on this and best wishes for your friend and his condition. Drugs of any kind simply rob a part of a person and feed them into a delusion of reality --- a way to make facing the facts a tad bit more palatable and extending a false sense of security. Ricky will miss the part of his life that team sports and the priviledge of playing in the NFL brings. He will miss the great shape his body is in and it will all waste away slowly but surely like a great tree that is malnourished and slowly injected with poison. People often care too much about the $ that people like Ricky can bring into their lives and provide him with a false sense of friendship.
They are all users --- them using him, him using weed, it is a vicious cycle that never has a positive outcome.

I too hope Ricky finds a sense of self-acceptance, faith and promise that no drug can provide. A sense of peace. Obviously he is in great need of something ---

Andy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
but pot is not really like crack or cocaine or heroin... Its not addictive.. so if someone wanted to quit toking up its a lot easier than quitting coke or crack heroin
(I have never done the later drugs)

Its too bad about the guy if he was smoking it just to cope with life.. there are lots of legal drugs that may have helped him do that..

i dont really follow football and know nothing about the guy as a guy or a player.. but too bad the team did not try to get him some psychological help,, its a waste of a player

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I know he was supposedly diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. Im not speaking of that or any other problems he might have, and like SJ, I would not compare a joint or two with coke, heroin, etc.. I just cant believe someone would throw it all away for a bag of weed.

If that is a lie, and not the reason hes walking away, hes then just compounded his problems with denial and lies. I do of course wish him the best as a human being, but it just frosts my ass to see someone have so much and take it so much for granted. Human nature just seems to never realize what they have til its gone.

Hes of course allowed to make his own decisions, but he could have spoke up at the end of last season or something. To me, he kinda just up and walked out on his fellow teammates.

And hes definately not the only one to walk away from something- it has been done many times. Buster Douglas (who beat Tyson), Mike Tyson himself, Michael Irvin, Darryl Strawberry, Leon Lett, Bam Morris, and the list goes on. Its kinda like throwing your 32 oz. prime rib away, while people are scrounging through trash cans for crumbs and scraps.

Again, I wish him the best. I just hate so see raw talent thrown away for something so mediocre. Maybe his talent and abilities should have been instilled in someone who would cherish it and appreciate it.

Greg

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
And hes definately not the only one to walk away from something- it has been done many times. Buster Douglas (who beat Tyson), Mike Tyson himself, Michael Irvin, Darryl Strawberry, Leon Lett, Bam Morris, and the list goes on.
Greg

funny greg: many from that list ended up trying to come back....

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Yea Mike Tyson is trying to come back:punchin: I just hope his competition has a good pair of ear muffs:furious:

·
Registered
85 Posts
To paraphrase a one-hit wonder of the current decade:

I'm gonna stop runnin' the ball, because I'm high
I'm giving up it all, because I'm high
and if I wind up in the gutter I know why
- because I got high :smoking:, because I got high:smoking:, because I got high:dazed:.

Or one from a few decades back:

Now I ain't makin' no excuses for the many things I uses
Just to sweeten my relationships and brighten up my day
But when my earthly race is over and I'm ready for the clover
And they ask me how my life has been I guess I'll have to say

I was stoned and I missed it
I was stoned and it rolled right by
I was stoned oh me oh my

What a ^%$-ing waste.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
parts man..
the song Because i got hi was a one hit wonder by a guyt named afroman.. i downloaded the mpg somewhere...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Originally posted by steventhomas42
I satirized Afroman's "Because I Got High" for the first.

"I was Stoned and I Missed it" was a Dr. Hook number from 1975.

Steve

Thanks Steve,, I'd never heard of "afroman", but the Dr. Hook one makes sense.:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts