Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned this unit for about 2 months now. I just completed fall cleanup of pine straw (needles) and leaves. Their claim that it would pick up pine straw is what initially attracted me to it, and I must say, it lives up to that claim.

Assembly is relatively easy and it offers an adjustable hitch to adapt to the drawbar height of most tractors.

The brushes adjustment is straightforward and allows for deep cleaning as well as high off the ground for transport to your designated dumpsite. They lift and toss all varieties of lawn debris into the hopper.

Dumping the 15 cf hopper is done from the tractor seat via a pull rope. It allows you to dump as you continue rolling so as to spread out your load.

It also offers a compact vertical storing feature allows storage close to a wall leaving valuable floor space for other things.

PROS: Picks up leaves and pine straw and a variety of other lawn debris effortlessly.

Compact storage.

Easy dump hopper.

CONS: Hopper capacity to small (Note: A larger capacity hopper would make it more difficult to dump.)

Some debris is thrown over the hopper. (Easily remedied by slowing tractor down when approaching said debris)

All in all, it’s a great unit. Does what it says and does it well. I’m looking at ways
to increase hopper capacity and still make it easy dumping.

Purchased at Home Depot

Purchase Price $200

Series No. STS-42 LX Deluxe
Description Tow-behind Sweeper
Working Width 42" Working width
Hamper Capacity 15 Cu. Ft. Capacity
Brushes (6) 11" Diameter
Wheels & Tires 12" x 3" Bar tread
Bearings Shielded Roller
Reverse Freewheels in reverse
Storage Stores in a compact upright position
Warranty 2 Year limited

Attachments

·
674 Posts
I had thought about getting one, the price is not too bad. Does it break down for storage? Is it light enough it hangup out of the way? Maybe next year for me. A cart is next for me. :driving:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
good review argee. Ed yes it breaks down well, remove 2 metal posts in the basket and it collapses, it also detaches from the wheel/brooms so the basket part can hang on a wall and the brooms can be rolled somewhere out of place. the breakdown feature is the best thing about it.. aslong with the ease of empty

I think its a good unit..

sj

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
hey argee...
i did not even know it would do that... i thought you had to remove the base from the sweeper.... Now i like it even more...

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
hey regarding your con on the sweeper: stuff thrown over the basket.... Mine came with a little flap that clips onto the sides so it prevents a lot of the 'overflow' maybe they did not put that on this years version.. mine is 2 years old

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by simple_john
hey regarding your con on the sweeper: stuff thrown over the basket.... Mine came with a little flap that clips onto the sides so it prevents a lot of the 'overflow' maybe they did not put that on this years version.. mine is 2 years old
Yeah it has the flap. The items I mentioned are pine cones. I was in 5th gear, shot them over the hopper like a cannon. I'm going to design some props for the flap next year so I can maybe pull it in 6th.
:crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
That unit looks alot like the one I got from Sears. Works nice. One thing I did is in the hight adjustment slot, I put a bolt where I want it to be when sweeping. That way, when I transport it, I lift the handle up, and to reset it, just let it go to the bolt, and I don't have to play with the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Granted your BH sweeper may be set up a little different then my sears, but works great for me. Saves alot of mucking around trying to get it set. I got to say though, I do perfer using the Hydrovac on my Ingersoll. THAT can suck up ANYTHING!!:cool: :D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm contemplating

building a collection system utilizing my trailer. The 48" deck on my Craftsman has incredible lift, so I'm going to design and build a chute for next year.
:nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Good review. I am leaning toward this model or the one at Sears (hopefully still on sale) --- Nice job keeping with the "review posting format" -- (i.e. Review - xxxxxxx ) in your post. ---

Overall, very informative and thanks for the pics!

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts