Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
545 Posts
This will be a great project!!!

Almost all of your questions are unanswerable without having a visual.

If the tractor was stored inside in a relatively dry climate the engine repair may be minimal. If not, the cost will climb quickly.

For example, why is the engine stuck? That would be the first thing I'd do is try to get it to turn. Have you tried a wrench on the front crankshaft bolt? Or can you access the flywheel teeth and use a large screwdriver?

In regards to the clutch. Do you mean the clutch pedal won't move at all? Or can you wiggle the slack in the pedal mechanism but can't depress it to release the clutch. The first would be resolved by lubing the external mechanism. The second would probably require splitting the tractor. Most common problem is the clutch disc will rust itself to the flywheel. Then, even though you might be able to push the pedal, the clutch will always remain engaged.

If you can't get the engine to turn over, then head removal would be a good place to start. I would not spend a dime on head rebuild until I saw the rest of the engine. I also would plan on removing the block for complete rebuild. For example, I'm pretty sure you can't replace crankshaft main bearings with the engine in the tractor? Maybe an expert can chime in with an opinion about that. I know a very good Ford tractor mechanic that would know, but I'm not sure if he's on this site. I'll ask him.

I'm a do it all or done none guy. I would start with all the K.I.S.S. principle things first as in try to free the clutch, try to free the engine, then try to get it to run. Once I've exhausted those options or ran into a major issue that requires fixing, then I'm all in. Complete overhaul. Goal being to reuse the block, bare head, crankshaft, pistons/rods, maybe camshaft. Everything else replaced or restored. Example, grind the valves rather than replace them, based on condition.

This is going to turn into an expensive project. Buckle up, it's going to be a rough ride. :)

· Registered
545 Posts
A paragraph I forgot to include.

After the starter failed to turn the engine over, I carefully took a pry bar to the flywheel as had no luck. I then removed the nose cone and radiator and got a wrench on the crank. I actually broke the loose tightening it. So I stopped.

The clutch arm going into the tractor is frozen. I removed the pin for the pedal assembly, so it’s out of the equation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you can now turn the engine over by hand???

Sounds like the clutch pedal shaft is frozen. It runs thru the bell housing. Look on the right side and see if the end of the shaft is exposed? If so,tap on one end, tap on other end. Spray something like PB Blaster on it. Keep tapping back and forth and hopefully get the shaft broke loose so it'll turn. Then reassemble pedal assembly and try to disengage clutch.

· Registered
545 Posts
No, I put a wrench on the end and the bolt broke loose, but not the crankshaft.

The clutch pedal rod has been sprayed with pb blaster about a dozen times, and smacked with a hammer at least double or triple that many times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Short of twisting the bolt off, did you try turning the other way?

Can you move the clutch shaft at all? If so the problem is internal. If not the shaft is rusted to the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts