Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look about right for getting this pulley off? It will not budge with the impact wrench. Here is the diagram and my setup in a couple of pictures. Any suggestions for how to get this thing off?

Here is my setup:

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I can see bolts #28 holds the collar to the pulley, but what holds the collar to the shaft?.
It is a bit hard to see the end of the shaft clearly, does the end look to be the same OD as the collar bore ID, I ask this because I have seen shafts that have a step down and the only way to replace bearings etc. was to start at the bottom and remove all hardware and then pull the shaft out through the top of the housing, I am only saying this because I cannot see the top of the collar clearly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FredM - I think it's just friction and the key that hold the pulley and collar on the shaft. It might be tapered, but I do not think the shaft needs to be disassembled and pulled up.

That's the other part of the shaft diagram and here's the picture from above:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Spray several times daily with penetrating oil. Another detail regarding using a puller..... Tighten the stem, then whack the stem with a BFH. Tighten, whack, etc. This is a jarring approach which is your best bet to getting it loose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, some things happened, my puller broke the collar but it is coming up. The pulley also separated from the collar when I was tying to use a pry-bar to force the collar up. I'm considering grinding the short-side off now. Good idea or no?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we got this far so I might as well post the rest of the story.

I torched it and beat the hell out of it with a pry bar wedged under.

I got sick of tapping the pry bar and hit it full fart, and it damn near put a hole in the ceiling of the garage when it came off.

Thanks for all the advice - guess I need to order a new bushing, at least they're only $40. I'm going to be a little more gentle with the other 2 now that I know how they go together...:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kumike: This type of pulley is called a taper lock. To remove it, just remove the two bolts and screw them into the other threaded holes. You may have to clean the dirt out of the two threaded holes first, and then run the bolts into them. Tighten them equally until the taper pops loose. This allows the first part of the taper lock to pop out and the rest comes off easy. You won't need a puller in all likelyhood. They really are simple. To reassemble them, its just the reverse. Good luck.
Sheenist

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy hell. Here I am with a 5lb hammer, a giant prybar and a bushing-sized dent in my ceiling and all I had to do was screw in the 2 bolts that came in the damn thing.

Story of my life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't feel bad, I had a buddy of mine came running into my shop one very hot day with sweat running off his head and his knuckles were bloody. He had fought it all morning and had broken his puller. He brought the whole thing to me to ask how they come apart, so I took an Allen wrench (his bolts were Allen bolts) and just did what I described for you. He was flabbergasted. Some of his English was not fit for me to print, but I think you get the idea. It was about twenty minutes before I could quit laughing. What a day.
You will need a new taper lock, since yours is broken. You may have to buy the whole pulley assembly, i don't know if you can just buy the taper by itself. If you need to do another one, try running a tap of the correct size for your bolts into the threaded holes, since they are usually dirty and rusty, that will make it much easier. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Damn!!, been away from the game too long and didn't even think of a taper lock, but then I haven't seen a taper lock with a collar, Thanks to sheenist, the other will be a piece of cake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts