Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been helping a buddy out recently with some of his Home Theater issues and thought I'd share some information with you guys in case your addicted to Electronics like I am.

Here's the situation. He just bought a nice new HDTV, has a receiver, DVD and a VCR. His wife doesn't use the system because the remote control situation is just a pain. I'm sure everyone has gone down the path with the universal remotes and getting everything on one remote, but you still have know what to do in order to flip things on and around so that everything is on the right settings to use them.

I recommended to him the Philips Pronto remote which I use and love. It is similiar in use, size, etc to a Palm Pilot. There are several models (upgrades) available and he just needs the TSU-2000.

With some of these remotes you can control IR and RF from a highly customizable touch screen. I had mine setup at my previous house to control...

TV,
VCR,
DVD,
LD,
SAT Receiver,
Receiver,
Fireplace,
& Lights

My proposal to him is to have a touch screen with each person in the familys name on a touch screen button. When you press the button it will go to a custom screen based on who is using it. There will be one on button where it will send the specific IR commands to turn on each piece of equipment with the single touch. The kids will have the icon logo's for the kids channels and not have to worry about channel numbers. There will be logo's for NBC, ABC, CBS, Disney, Nick, etc.

There will also a button for the DVD player to. When you press the DVD button, it will flip the video in to the DVD video feed, it will flip the receiver to the DVD audio feed and it will bring up the basic buttons to play a movie. There will be an option to view all the standard DVD buttons, but why confuse people when not needed.

There are groups on the web (http://www.remotecenteral) where people do nothing more than design touch screens and icons that you can import into your remote. If you have the color version, you can even make a football theme with your favorite team as the background image on the remote.

Anyways, just thought I'd share the concept in case you are in to this kind of stuff but hadn't heard about the Pronto's before. There are other remotes, but this is my favorite.

Oh, lastly, if you are interested, have fun explaining to the wife that you are about to spend $200 on a remote... $700 on the color one.

His wife is excited and ready to jump in with both feet. I told him that next I would introduce him to http://www.x10.com where we can hook in his lights, ceiling fans and other stuff.

I attached a screen shot of my daughters menu. This is easy to do since you program the remote on your computer. They give you an applicaiton to design the screens and test them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man $200 bucks for a remote???? I guess it would be worth the convience. I have forgotten what TV is here lately. We have been running from 0530 - 1130 at least!!!! T-ball, karate, work around the house. it never ends. I might have to look into one of those new fangled remotes when things slow dowmn a bit. Where do they sell them?:dazed:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the shopping link on Yahoo and search for TSU2000 or TSU-2000. You can get that model for about $175, the next upgrade is the TSU3000 which is about $225. The 3000 features an RF extender where you can have devices in another room and the remote will talk RF to the extender and the extender will IR to the device(s). Such as... controlling a stereo from another room, changing channels on the Sat single receiver that is feeding multiple TV's, etc. After that you go to the color model which is about $700 (ouch).

My wife thought $200 was crazy too, then after I explained it, she went for it. The funny thing is, you then get into design discussions.

Wife: The remotes not working right
Me: What's not working
Wife: When I press this button, then that button, it doesn't do xyz
Wife: I would also like it to do pdq when I press that.
Wife: Can you add the Shopping channel logo
Wife: Can you make it so when I turn on the TV that it automatically goes to the Home Design channel.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Plug the remote into the computer, do some clicking around, hand it back to her and say... DONE. It drives her nuts because of the big huge grin on my face.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Welcome back jjbyers!!!!!!! I see this is your first post since your registration last Sep 2003! :D

:spinsmile Welcome back to the fold. :D

Andy

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome jjbyers:friends: They may be a good remote but my wife would kill me if i spent $200.00 on a TV remote.:argue:

·
Registered
7 Posts
It had to come as a birthday present for me. But now that used it, if it broke I would be ordering another that day!

One press and your setup for VCR, DVD or Xbox, it's great!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
nice remotes.. but a lot of $$$.. I love the X10 stuff.. you can get little keychain type remote starter looking things that can turn on lights by remote or appliances.. im thinking of the X10 so i could control outdoor lights from inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts