Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you feel about putting the old injector pump back on a newly remanufactured engine without rebuilding it?

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
If it works fine, I see no issue with it. Older injection pumps don’t have as tight of tolerances as modern ones, so they won’t suffer they same wear under less than ideal operating conditions, and therefore seem to operate closer to original spec for a lot longer than modern ones.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have no feelings about it one way or the other.
Can tell you what I Think about it tho...
Assuming this is on a 3 or 4 cylinder Ford, If the pump was working fine and not leaking I would not hesitate to reuse it as is.
As simple as they are to pull and replace I would do it only when it needed it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a 4 cylinder Ford. 268 CI. The injector pump has no leaks and seemed to be working fine. I'm trying to avoid the cost of a rebuild and I like the idea of "if ain't broke don't fix it". How do you all feel about reusing the oil pump. That is my biggest concern. I ordered a custom build long block that does not come with an oil pump. Have not seen any issues with oil pump either.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
It’s a matter of:: pay now or pay later..
What about the injectors.??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a matter of:: pay now or pay later..
What about the injectors.??
I bought the tractor in 2019 so I don't know how much wear is on the pump. Don't know if its ever been rebuilt. If the hour meter is correct the tractor has 3800 hours on it. As long as there is no risk of damaging the new engine I will re-use it.
I replaced the injectors about 30 hours before the engine failed. I took them just today to the local shop to have them cleaned and tested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The long block I have ordered comes with the oil pump so I feel better knowing that. Valve cover to oil pan, including install gasket set. So only additional thing I should have to buy now is a water pump. Total estimated cost is now at about $7000. Just under $5000 for long block and shipping if they refund the entire $2500 for the core. No reason they shouldn't since engine was running when I drove it off the trailer and into the diesel shop. About $1800 labor at diesel shop for install. Then a couple hundred for water pump and fluids. A lot of money on a 32 yr old tractor. But after weighing out all my options I decided to take this route. Everything else on this tractor works fine. It's in great shape, no bent sheet metal. Previous owner had recently painted it and put about $3000 worth of tires on it. I had spent about $1500 on it repairing small leaks, a new radiator, new injectors, new power steering cylinder, all steering ball joints and routine maintenance. All told I'll have about $21000 in this tractor with new engine. It sounds ridiculous but if taken care of, this tractor will still be running when my children have passed on since it won't be run regularly. And I like the idea of having "old iron". This tractor is built like a tank. And none of the electronics to fail. A tractor I can work on. Do any of you have recommendations on what type of oil I should use in the new engine and recommendations on break in operation? Sorry for the long post. Thanks to everyone that has helped me through this project.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wayne Where did you get your long block from? I have been looking around for one for my 5600 and do not like the prices I have found so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do any of you have recommendations on break in operation on a new tractor engine?
Thanks. Wayne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts