Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some old pics, and with the season right around the corner, I thought i'd post a few pics...

This is my first gas powered RC boat. It was bought all seperately (engine, radio equip., hardware, etc), and started with a plain white boat. A few months later, it was water-ready. First time on the water was to break the engine in; after a couple tankfulls, I would wick the throttle for short blasts...ran 48.9 MPH first time out, and on a very small pond.

Here it is on the stand. The hull itself was 45" long, as you can see compared to the sidewalk.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its always nice seeing your work pay off, as your boat flies across the water. Second time out, it again flew right over the water...then somehow lost radio contact (probably due to a truck on the nearby freeway), and ran into a big tree on the outside edge of the water. It was only traveling about 1/2 throttle, but was cracked all down the port side, and sponson was ripped off too. It was totalled.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to go with a V-hull type boat, and had to get something together pretty quick. I got a 44" Microburst, and transferred everything from the wrecked Cyclone to the new Microburst. It's also the first boat I airbrushed. The boat was dubbed "TANTRUM". This pic is of one of the first few times I ran it. You can see the Zenoah G-23 gas engine, the polished aluminum tuned pipe, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After trying about 12 different props and different combinations of pipe length and trim tab / strut position, I got the Microburst up to 56 MPH, verified by Stalker radar gun, and a hand held GPS which was strapped in the boat. Heres a pic of it on the water while a friend was driving it. It is not going 56 in the pic, but this is the day it ran 56 MPH. I "drove it like I stole it" all Summer, with only one minor wreck that was not enough to keep it out of the water.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Thought a few of you might like to see a few pics. :)

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Fusion1970,

I love that stuff but never followed through for the fear of totaling it on the first voyage ( Airplane or Boat or car)

Nice job and I love seeing the power to weight ratio on these things....when i saw a RC car smoke its tires then hit 50-60mph I thought it was the coolest thing in the world....

Expensive looking thats for sure...

Duc

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
that sucks do you still have your boat that you ran into a tree with ??? they must cost a pretty penny

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
That cool i have a cheap elect one i think the radio costed more then the boat but its still fun.
Jody

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I had an old electric one. We used it in our little pool we had. To steer you had to be able to catch up to it and turn the motor which was a detacthable outboard type thing lol.
Ryan

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
jesuzzz. 56 MPH wowo.. how do they do in waves does it go ok? or does it need to be calm water?

nice boats..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Jbetts, no I don't have it anymore. I sold it to a guy in Florida that was going to put a stock motor in it. It was basically fixed, and the repair in primered condition, but it was not the same.

Duc, you just gotta let 'em go. Planes, boats, cars, etc...you have to be in the mind frame that everytime it leaves your hands, it might not come back or be retrieved in the same amount of pieces. I flew long enough to solo, built an Extra 300 stunt plane, and sold it. I was too scared to fly it. Wish I still had it, as if I put it into the ground, id scrape up what was left, and go to plan "B". At least I could have flown it. Boats are much more relaxing, but still a rush.

Thanks SimpleJohn...The V-hull will go through some pretty rough stuff, and the 50"-55" deep V's will go through jet ski wakes. The catamarans like the Cyclone is typically a little faster, as they ride on a cushion of air. The Cyclone will also flip easier as a result. Even with something this size (to scale) aero and hydrodynamics play a part in anything over probably 45-50 MPH. A gas boat going over 50 is tweaked pretty well.

Most guys in our club run nitro powered outriggers, with little nitro engines turning 32,000 RPM's. The fastest boat in our club runs consistantly at 72-73 MPH. Only problem is they are usually not nearly as reliable. I will sacrafice a little speed for reliabilty, as I do not like going to retrieve them. LOL

Thanks again for looking, and if you ever have the chance to check out an RC boat race, you should do it. From then, you will be hooked for sure...when your not sitting on your tractor, of course! :)

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts