Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Frances has come and gone and blew or should I say trapsied past the area and all I got was some winds in 15 to 25 mph catagory, not a drop of rain, but a heap of pinestraw, small limbs and twigs and leaves all over the place...........but in town they got a 4"+ rainfall......................beats all I have ever seen. I think I am going to start ripping out my grass (if thats what you can call it now), and plant cactus and tumbleweeds....I suxcked the stream as low as possible to put as much wate rin my pond as I could, and right now that stream is not flowing at all, justs puddles here and there. I even went upstream and dug channels to allow more to flow down further so it was within range of my pump and hoses and hard lines I have........:confused:

Well there is always the possiblity of Ivan making its way in this area, ha ha ha ha ha........And yesterday and today we had a 100% probability of rain! I think the meteorologists of today are washouts from hamburger flipping at Mickey D's

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Hang in there Chip! It ain't over till its over. Looks like Frances may pull in some precip. off the Atlantic coast yet.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey there Chipper, come to this neck of the woods and feel free to bring your pump:D We recieved 15+ inches form fridayabout 11:30pm to today at 12:45 pm... Near where I work recorded over 20" in about the same time period... I really dont know how it missed you... You seem to be in the drought mode at this time... Heres hoping that you get the relief that you need

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
so ernie are you about ready to build an ark? man you guys have been nailed down there this year...

you have power? or sustain much damage??

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Any rain yet Chippie? I have been watching the weather radar and it looks like most of AL is getting rain except for the far western parts.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Chief
Any rain yet Chippie? I have been watching the weather radar and it looks like most of AL is getting rain except for the far western parts.
Not really.........about all we got today was a sort of mist, not exactly what I would call rain. YOu could barely see it but you could feel it on your face. I think the total amount that may have come down three sheets of Bounty would have absorbed up very easy :D

I live about 6 miles due south of the Regional airport in montgomery, as the crow flies. The airport has received rain almost every day for months now. The other day when I was out there to see some friend off on deployment from ther ANG base also stationed on thr Regional Airport grounds, I was told they had a record hay cutting season there this year. They contract out the cutting of grass / hay along the runways and taxi ways at the airport. Stipulation is as soon as it reaches a certain height it must be cut, raked, baled and moved off the airfield almost immediately and the folks cutting it this year have been very busy keeping up with it.

Like I posted in previous posts, it has rained all around this little area I live in all seasonlong so far.........but this area received nil in rainfall.....when its cold out sufficient to have to wear a jacket, this area can still go in a T shirt. When surounding areas have frost, this section does not...........its usually hotter in summer and warmer in winter as compared to all areas surounding it. The county agent has stated this one area is more like a USDA zone 9 than the zone 8 it is rated at, and in some books you will see just a small section this area actually called a zone 9A. It's just a very small area, but its unique in its weather it gets as compared to surounding territory, which usually has its advantages but certainly none this year as for rainfall.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You haven't pissed off the "Big Guy" who handles the rain department have you:question: :question: :question: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Chief
You haven't pissed off the "Big Guy" who handles the rain department have you:question: :question: :question: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I don't think so:D
I have a feeling its more due to the amount of property taxes we pay here, it is insufficient to pay to have rain sent this way on a regular basis.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Do we need to call in the Medicine Man to do a rain dance and shake a few beads around your property Chip? :D ;) army I'm beginning to wonder.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Could be all the explosions and gaseous vermin killing clouds have changed your local climate. :lmao:

We picked up 2" in the last four hours courtesy of Frances and more to come.

Mark

·
Registered
264 Posts
Geez Chipmaker, even we are expecting some rain from Frances. And I am in Ottawa, ON, Canada. She's travelled a long way to water my flowers, can't believe you didn't get any.

Don't mean to rub it in. Frankly, you can keep your rain, we've had plenty this year.

SnowMower

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
They be a flyin here... We never lost a shingle.. We have had 51 1/2 inches so far this year... Yes everything is soggy...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Havent got enough rain to swamp my immediate back yard, but I have seen pretty much a light steady rain here since yesterday. I am basically 1,000 miles North of Tampa. Theres also a pretty good wind outside right now. No, it's not much out of the ordinary, but it is pretty wild to think of what it was like in Florida, four days ago, surrounded by water.

Chip, you are alot closer to Fl. than I am. I am not complaining about the rain, but I would provide ya some if I could.

If rain is what you are looking for, just hold out for Ivan. It will be interesting.

Greg

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
So far Ivan has tore the hell out of Grenada and has sustained winds of 165 mph and is a Cat. 5. Would want to be in the that path of this one either. It is headed to Jamaica now. :truth:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We are kepping our eye on this bad boy... Getting ready to install the shutters again..... more rain. Cant keep up with the mud from over flowing fields, hell I have cleaning up wash outs since befor frances. We have had our share of the feast that this time of the year brings the states on the or ocean coast. Cant wait for the winter months for the drying out we need.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I heard on the news that 90% of all homes on Grenada were damaged or destroyed, and that the Prime minister's home was destroyed. I'm thinking his house was probably built better than most, so it must be a nasty storm.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
My folks live in a mobile home park on a man made canal on Tampa Bay in Clearwater. They evacuated for Charley and it missed 'em. They decided to ride out Frances in their home and said it was scary but it was only a tropical storm by then. The only damage they suffered was one of the hurricane awnings blew off and a few strips of roofing over their patio. Other places by them lost part or all of their roofs. They found the blown away pieces and have them back in place for Ivan. Instead of a storm surge Mom said their basin was sucked dry temporarily. Hutch

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Ernie, sorry for your troubles guy. As fast as you clean up; it starts all over again. Hope you and Hutch's parents ride it out safe and no damage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts