Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys here know how to weld and have a welder?

I do, but I wonder how many of use are capable and have machines.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
How many of you guys here know how to weld and have a welder?

I do, but I wonder how many of use are capable and have machines.
well I have one, and am getting better, but capable?? Not realy.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Forney

My Dad sold for them for years. I used to go on sales calls with him when I was a kid about 7 or 8. He would have me do the demo to show how easy the machines worked. Don't know how anyone with older Iron can get along without being able to weld.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I dont have one but i know how to weld we have 2 hobarts and 1 miller at work. Plus when i was a teen i worked in a welding shop for 2 summers.
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I don't own a welder but I also know how to weld. My uncle, a couple of cousins, and a few friends have them....can't see the need for me buying one:smiles:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I used to stick weld YEARS ago, and was not that bad. Only have a MIG now, and have not used it enough to realy get the hang of it. Getting there though. I am up to mostly strong welds, just look REAL bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my first welder about 20 yrs ago and taught myself how to weld. I've since gone through two more welders - I shouldn't say gone through because I gave one to my son and also bought me a better one. Welding with a welder I have no problem with but using a cutting torch is a different story. I'm always building something out of metal so a welder is a must. It is one of the many tools in my shop that I couldn't do without.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I had gas and electric welding in high school industrial arts and one quarter in college but that was 20 years ago. I never owned a unit but keep getting the itch from time to time. Mainly when someone posts about a project they just completed.

Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
I learned to weld in a shipyard and was certified as a Boilermaker and used to weld on construction jobs. I never did try TIG welding, but I sometimes "TIG" weld with my 225 amp. Linde cracker box using a 1/4" gouging rod and clothes hanger.

·
Registered
361 Posts
AUTO-DARKENING-HOOD

:devilish: I learned on a stick welder about 30 years ago out of necessity. I now only have a mig machine but am going to buy another stick machine for heavier duty stuff.

I bought an Auto Darkening Hood a couple weeks ago but but have not had a chance to try it yet. WHO of you guys has an A.D.Helmet and how do you like it over standard flip helmet?.

:flamedevi

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I was 10 or 11 years old, my father "who is a welder by trade" used to make me weld in the garage 2 nights a week for 2 hours or 50 rods whichever came first. He used to stand a piece of 4 x4 x1/2 angle iron 16" long vertically and have me start doing vertical ups filling out the angle iron. I hated it at the moment when I was doing it, I wanted to be out with my friends, but years later I am glad that he showed me. I worked as a welder for the pipefitters at a nuke plant in PA. Knowing how to weld has come in very handy for me and my friends. I have an AC DC stick welder in my garage. Iwill probably pick up a portable mig sometime. Have a tig set up for the delicate stuff also.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I took metal shop way back in school and we had an old lincoln in the garage growing up. I could make a very impressive pile of something. But do not have a welder now, I am better off getting a friend of mine do any welding I need. He can do almost anything including stainless. Great to have friends like that!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an auto darkening hood and it is really good. I still have the habit of flipping it up after I finish what I'm doing. I think they are intended more for production shops more than do it yourself types. I also go through a ton of batteries with that hood. I use it rarely for that reason. I use it mostly for large jobs.

I prefer MIG to stick welding any day, but I can do either pretty easily. Mig is much easier in tight spots though where you only have one hand access.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I never could weld worth a darn I tried. On the farm we have a stick welder.It gets used alot along with the torch.But the others there do the welding.Hard to get along without being a welder on the farm but luckily we have a good welder in the group.He can not fix a sandwich but he can weld.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I don't have one... thought about getting a mini system or something from the pawn shop LOL

I think it would be neat to have around, but really no need to go buy one.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I've got a couple buzz boxes and three 110v migs. Also have a 225 amp portable on a trailer. A friend has a 225v mig and we trade around. I never use his but he uses my smaller ones. Another friend with a machine shop has a tig I can use but I just let him weld it for me. He's much better with it. I'm not sure how I could do any of the things I do without a welder. Neither can my neighbors.........

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
I have an auto darkening hood and it is really good. I still have the habit of flipping it up after I finish what I'm doing. I think they are intended more for production shops more than do it yourself types.

I also go through a ton of batteries with that hood. I use it rarely for that reason.

Hey Leolav, The helmet that I bought needs no battery changes. It says in the instruction book,
: This welding helmet utilizes high performance solar cells as its power supply and has two built-in 3V lithium batteries as power back-up. No change of battery is needed. Under normal welding conditions users can expect a battery lifetime of more than (6-years).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Leolav, The helmet that I bought needs no battery changes. It says in the instruction book,
: This welding helmet utilizes high performance solar cells as its power supply and has two built-in 3V lithium batteries as power back-up. No change of battery is needed. Under normal welding conditions users can expect a battery lifetime of more than (6-years).

Now that's thinking useing the flash for something other than causein many a sleepless nites

1 - 20 of 22 Posts