1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Put mower deck back on

Discussion in 'Craftsman / Sears' started by Ed_GT5000, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Ed_GT5000

Ed_GT5000 Registered User

Sep 30, 2003
    Took my dozer blade off my tractor and put the mower deck back on yesterday. Got the the dozer blade off in about 5 minute's.

Then I fought the mower deck for over an hour to get it back on. Between not remembering how the deck hanger plates went on and everything being way out of alignment, it was a battle.

:redbaron:

For those of you who will soon be doing this job, Be sure to loosen the front deck hanger adjustments. before you put the deck back on.

I have had the deck on and off before with no problem, I think plowing snow affected the alignment of the deck. The deck seemed two long for the tractor. Raming the snow banks must haved shortened it a bit.

I hope to soon have a sleeve hitch and garden plow for the tractor soon. Perhaps the tractor will stretch when pulling a plow.... Ha Ha!

2. GT5000

GT5000 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    There should be no need to loosen the front hanger adjustments. Did you follow the owner's manual?

3. Ed_GT5000

Sep 30, 2003
    I had to adjust them in for fit about 1/4" inch. It was the only way it was going to fit. Owners manual? Does anyone read really those?

:tractorsm

4. guest2

guest2 Tractorforum.com Senior Member

Dec 26, 2003
    ED
    Does yours have the two "L" shaped rods that hang down from the lift assembly. They are used for both the plow and mower. The first time I put my deck back after using the plow I couldn't seem to get the same height, the deck felt way too low. What I did was adjust the nuts all the way up just enough so the deck handle wouldn't lock in the up position and then leveled the deck by adjusting them down. The deck travel seems more "normal" now. Like you said who reads the directions, it doesn't give that info anyway and even a call to the 800 # on the manual got me me a few different people who didn't understand why the deck adjustment would be off even after I explained to them that once you remove the nuts and use the arms for the plow of course the adjustment would be off. I'm also thinking these things might be a litttle bent from plowing even though they look ok.

5. Ed_GT5000

Sep 30, 2003
    I got it back on OK, and it is level. I took it around the yard and it cuts fine..... Just took awhile. Lift works as it should. This convinced me that I will get the new type sleeve hitch that has it's own lift.

:warplanes :F4:

6. Stewart

Stewart Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Cool Planes Ed... The one is a Corsair, what is the other one?:D

7. Ed_GT5000

Sep 30, 2003
    looks like German ME-109's

8. Argee

Argee Tractor Lover

Sep 17, 2003
    Michigan
    It takes me about 15 minutes to drop the snowblower and reattach the mower deck. This is on of the easiest decks I have ever put on. Now my Case decks were another story. Where exactly does that dozer blade mount?

9. aegt5000

aegt5000 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Not Me, I’m hanging in with my snowplow and cab
    and keeping the new snowblower close just in case.
    I know the day after I take them off it will snow a foot.
    (11” on April 1st in mid 1980’s)

Seriously, grass won’t even think about growing for
    a good 5-6 weeks and I’m in no hurry to get caught
    with my plow off.

10. Ingersoll444

Ingersoll444 Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Oh ya, the Cases are a bit of a PITA, but I will take it ANYDAY over the deck on my Mom's old JD112. THAT thing kicks my but EVERY year.

11. jbetts13

jbetts13 Lifetime Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2003
    what kind of GT you got l have a JD 212 it's pritty old but never had that pro l beet the living s*** out of it but she's never fails:tractorsm

12. Argee

Argee Tractor Lover

Sep 17, 2003
    Michigan
    Re: Re: Put mower deck back on

jbetts.....take a close look at Ed_GT5000's name and what forum he's posting in. He has a Craftsman GT5000