Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of wife nagging, so went and picked up the hardwood floors and installed them yesterday in my home office.

Bruce prefinished, gunstock color.

HD $4.15 a square foot
Carpet store $5.00
Indiana Floors (wholesaler) $3.87

Room, 11 X 11

The night before we took out all of the furniture, I tored up the carpet, padding, tack strips and staples.

Connecting to existing hardwood and ran it into the office. Not a lot of work, but it takes some time. Took about 4 hours to get the floor down. I put 1/4 round down later that day.

Of course, at this point, now the wife wants to paint, buy new office furniture, etc, etc, etc. Just finally got my system put back together.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The floor is now covered with drop cloths and stuff since she is painting. I'll give you another when we get it finished and cleaned up.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Nice cut in from the hallway Toba. That's a nice sunny room, an ideal spot for a home office. I see you have a Bostitch pneumatic floor nailer.....did you talk momma into that so you could install the flooring:lmao:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Looks good Toba when i put mine down i glued it down it went pretty quick.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys (and gals?).

I rented the nailer. Good excuse to buy one, but not good enough.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
that flooring looks great.. my neighbor did his.. i costs less than regular and its already finished.. nice...

but Isnt the nail gun specific for the floors so it shoots at an angle? so really that nail gun could only be used for flooring right?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
That looks really sharp Toba! You do nice work! Do the wood strips hold tight to the floor? We are considering doing this in our house if we don't move. Great home improvement project. Thanks for posting the pics and very interesting post! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SJ -> Nailer is for flooring only. Haven't noticed a specific nailer for a specific floor brand... they are pretty much all the same.

Chief -> If you look at the door way, you will notice blue tape. That tape marks the floor joist. I then strip a chalk line over the paper where the floor joist are. At a minimum, you staple at every joist, I put some in between from time to time to. The floor holds great and is squeek free... for now.

The nailer is real easy on you due to the compressor. You don't have to hit it hard with the mallet. If you have a board that is not going up tight you hit the %@% out of it and it pulls in real tight. The biggest problem and most time spent is starting and finishing. On those walls, there is not enough room to use the nailer, so I use a brad and hide it with 1/4 round.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, the nailer was a 24 hour, $30 rental from HD. Such a low cost for the amount of labor it reduces. There is no way I would do it with the old 100% manual nailers... NFW.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice looking floor!:D
The tools sure make the job easier, but like you said how much more would you need it? Nice project, thanks for sharing!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then the wife thought it would be nice to not only paint... but to do a design. We taped 4 inch wide and 6 inch apart strips. The main wall was painted flat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then after flat and tope, tape, tape, tape.. she painted with the same color, but high-gloss. This created an affect that looks like a hint of stripes. The flash brings them out more, but you get the idea. It actually looks kind of cool.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
In that first picture are you showing off the floor or the picture on you computer monitor:D They look good you have been busy now let work on the lattice:furious:
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
That is one sharp looking floor Toba! :thumbsup: Nice work! When can you do my floors??? I like your screen saver. Are you retired military?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts