Tractor Forum banner

PTO stopped spinning

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bmaverick 
#1 ·
Hi All,
My first gen (green) Yanmar YM240 PTO has stopped spinning. I was tilling a neighbour's place and hit a large buried rock. As soon as it hit the PTO shaft stopped spinning. I shut things off and waited a minute or two before starting things up again. I shifted the PTO in and out of gear, tried the 1000 rpm and the 540 rpm selection and there was nothing.

So my questions is: did I break something? Did a safety switch cut in? Is there something simple that I need to do to get it working again or are we looking at an overhaul?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Hi All,
My first gen (green) Yanmar YM240 PTO has stopped spinning. I was tilling a neighbor's place and hit a large buried rock. As soon as it hit the PTO shaft stopped spinning. I shut things off and waited a minute or two before starting things up again. I shifted the PTO in and out of gear, tried the 1000 rpm and the 540 rpm selection and there was nothing.

So my questions is: did I break something? Did a safety switch cut in? Is there something simple that I need to do to get it working again or are we looking at an overhaul?

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
With the PTO shaft removed and the tractor off, can you freely spin the PTO spline shaft by hand? This would tell you if something broke inside as Winston pointed out.

Winston did point you to the correct YM240 parts manuals as your machine is a green tree frog type. Over the years Yanmar issued up to the 6th edition for your machine. That 6th edition is the last dated 1990. I've attached it here. :)

Between the two manuals, check them both out for parts needed.

Attachments

Reactions: fuddy1952
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.