Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've got an old Cushman Frontline mower that's giving me fits.My son took the mower deck off at the end of the season last year to do some work on it.Now I cant get it to slide back on. It doesnt appear bent or damaged and the splines all look OK. Theres no key for it either.It should just slide right on but it refuses to.I can slip it in maybe 1/2" then it stops.Any bright ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Is there no collar that slides back to release the ball bearing detent lock? There should be a ball bearing or some form of locking mechanism to hold it on and keep it from coming off and I think that's what you're hitting that prevents it from going any further. Photos would be helpful if you are still having issues.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing at all no collar no allen screw,nothing.Im thinking Ive got a bad spline on either side but its covered in grease so Im gonna have to clean it up and check.

·
172 Posts
Are you trying to slide two shafts together? If you are there should be a spot of weld on the end of the male half between two splines, that should slide into the female part that is missing a spline. That's so the u-joints are lined up.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
it is called a master spline, wipe the grease off of the male section and you should see a either wider single spline or a wider gap in the splines, the opposite should be on the female connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts