Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have somewhat of an oddball tractor. It is a 1979 SAME Delfino 35, which is a 35hp 2 cyl diesel tractor. I am having a problem with the PTO staying engaged. I have pulled the pto shaft out numerious to check it and the last time replaced the bearing had it straightened (had a small deflection in it) but when I put it in gear it will start to rotate for a while (with bush hog attached) and then it will throw the PTO out of gear. You cannot hold it in and if you try you will have a sprained thumb. I have of course checked the engaging collar and the splines and they appear to be ok. What am I missing here. Any of you tractor gurus have any clues that might help me solve this problem.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pictures would help.
All I can think of when you say "it will throw the PTO out of gear. You cannot hold it in and if you try you will have a sprained thumb"
It reminds me of a 1950 Farmall I had here years ago doing that. PTO had an engagement lever and taking cover off reminded me of a clutch fork how it goes into throw out bearing collar. I flipped it around and it worked fine.
PTO lever you had to push down some, move it over then it would pop up into the engagement slot. I'm sure worn parts was the problem. It stayed engaged like that then I sold tractor a year or so later.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
Howdy Ben,
I suspect that your PTO shaft remains bent. Replace it. A bent shaft is about all that I can envision pushing the PTO sleeve out of engagement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have the shaft when the machine shop pressed the new wear collar on for the seal. I will try the adjustment on the lever as maybe it isn’t going on all the way, although the ball sets on the indent. If that is not the case then I may have to split the tractor on two so that I can check the driven end and see if there is a problem there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This may be useless information but I remember now on my tractor the PTO sliding collet had worn splines which is why flipping it around helped it stay engaged. Otherwise I had to hold it in with pressure getting it to engage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may be useless information but I remember now on my tractor the PTO sliding collet had worn splines which is why flipping it around helped it stay engaged. Otherwise I had to hold it in with pressure getting it to engage.

Guess I will have to split the case and flip the collet around - what a pita

·
Registered
35 Posts
I certainly don't know if that's what the problem is. The Farmall was easy to get to and see the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts