Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kubota LX2610
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Newbie tractor owner here that could use some help. I recently damaged my PTO cover/guard and need help finding a replacement, and some advice on powering a brush hog in a way that will protect my tractor (and me, of course). Admittedly, I know very little about the various types of PTO shafts and components.

For some background, I have a Kubota 2021 LX2610 and was running a brush hog deck with a Beco shaft (triangular). On flat ground, the shaft was the appropriate length, but I backed up to an area where the ground sloped down, allowing the deck to drop further and the covers to disengage. Upon lifting the deck, the covers interfered and mangled each other. I suppose I have at least three questions:
  1. How do I identify the proper replacement cover and what vendors do you recommend? I called TSC and they have a cover, FOR $150!!! :oops:
  2. Should I be running a clutch in the driveline to protect the tractor from impacts?
  3. Is the connection from the shaft to the brush hog supposed to be a shear pin? If so, where do I buy them (it is currently a grade 8 bolt, I think)?
Thanks for taking your time to read this, and have a great day.

Sincerely,
John

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Howdy John, welcome to the tractor forum.

Here is a U-Tube video showing how to install a new cover:

I would shorten the top link adjustment of your 3-point lift, to prevent the mower from going down too much when working on down slopes such as you encountered.

You have a shear bolt to protect your tractor from impacts. Shear bolts are readily available on the internet. You have to know the diameter and length of the shear bolt.

·
Registered
2021 Kubota LX2610
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy John, welcome to the tractor forum.

Here is a U-Tube video showing how to install a new cover:

I would shorten the top link adjustment of your 3-point lift, to prevent the mower from going down too much when working on down slopes such as you encountered.

You have a shear bolt to protect your tractor from impacts. Shear bolts are readily available on the internet. You have to know the diameter and length of the shear bolt.
Hi BigT,

Thank you!

Looking at both ends of my PTO shaft (all around each), I don't see a shear pin, unless it's the bolt that connects to the brush hog's gearbox, which is currently a grade 8 bolt (see attached).

Should I invest in a clutch? Swap the bolt out? It seems that shearing at the far end of the shaft could be dangerous if it were to separate from the brush hog, allowing it to swing freely, no?
Green Gas Wood Machine Auto part

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
It sure doesn't look like it. The only connection seems to be the spring pins. My drive shafts are similar to this one, with a shear bolt holding the two halves of the yolk together.

Toy Auto part Plastic Metal Electric blue

·
783 Posts

·
783 Posts
I haven't seen the combination slip and over run clutch at Tractor Supply,
and they don't have the Bare-Co shield with it's easy release levers.
They do have the old style shields and they can get slip clutches one of my local CIH dealers beats Tractor Supply prices on PTO shafts and components.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
They don't they carry the Weasler slip clutch and the Weasler over run ratchet as separate items. Not a combination of them. I bought my over run clutch from Agri Supply a few years ago. The one you pictured isn't large enough for me anyway. I bought a 100 horse PTO unit.

·
783 Posts
They don't they carry the Weasler slip clutch and the Weasler over run ratchet as separate items. Not a combination of them. I bought my over run clutch from Agri Supply a few years ago. The one you pictured isn't large enough for me anyway. I bought a 100 horse PTO unit.
The 40 Hp wouldn't work for me either,
but the OP only has 20 Hp on his PTO

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hi BigT,

Any thoughts on my most recent reply? It doesn't appear that my Beco shaft has a shear bolt...?

About The Clutches
- Standard 540RPM 6-spline 1 3/8" spline diameter. FITS ALL YANMAR, DEERE, KUBOTA, AND OTHERS, TRACTORS. OVER RUNNING CLUTCH- QUICK DETACH

Automotive tire Liquid Cosmetics Camera accessory Rim

Machine Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Bumper

Basically, this overrun clutch is the Hayes product out of Australia.

Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

It's also the SAME one sold over at ASC. :)

White Cylinder Gas Composite material Font

It's the same one I run on my machine. Works like a dream. I've never had a need to ever take it off. Once a year, I add the grease.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Hi BigT,

Thank you!

Looking at both ends of my PTO shaft (all around each), I don't see a shear pin, unless it's the bolt that connects to the brush hog's gearbox, which is currently a grade 8 bolt (see attached).

Should I invest in a clutch? Swap the bolt out? It seems that shearing at the far end of the shaft could be dangerous if it were to separate from the brush hog, allowing it to swing freely, no?
View attachment 76725
The cover tubes break often enough on these PTO drive shafts. Most farmers have become creative like myself and now use PVC tubing cut to length and clamped on. Works so much better.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
The cover tubes break often enough on these PTO drive shafts. Most farmers have become creative like myself and now use PVC tubing cut to length and clamped on. Works so much better.
My dealer has gobs of them on the shelf and I get them for free. I keep my stub covered when not using it all the time and I put grease inside the cover as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts