Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The knowledge I have about JD tractors could be put in my ear and I would never know it was there, but I love tractors. So Saturday, 1-10-03, I watched a 1/2 hour program about the building of a JD tractor in their Iowa plant. They even showed the pouring of the mold of the engine. Then step by step of putting the whole thing together. I'm not sure about the horse power from the 6 cylinder diesel engine, but I think they said 150. The frame and engine without the tires weighed 18,000 lbs. It even had a GPS device and a computer that when it was set, you could let go of the steering wheel and take a nap while it was plowing. The seat checked positions 200 times a second and you aren't supposed to feel the ride at all. It showed how Mr. Deere got started by inventing the S.S. plow point to keep the sod from building up on it. My wife said "no, you can't have one because the disk it is pulling is bigger than the whole place we live on". I would love to go through that plant.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I would have liked to see it. Sounds good. Knowing how they are, it will probably be on agean. I will have to catch it next time.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Must have been a prototype.GPS has been around awhile now used for tracking yields and help with guiding a spayer so not to need foam markers.But the seat 200 times personds and not feeling a bump.That must be a ways off.Believe me you feel it even with the air ride seats.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Merlin, it has been almost 2 months since we have heard from you. Hope you are doing well and will come back soon and join in. :thumbsup:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I kept an eye out for it but have yet to see it. I would like to see a tape of the show as well!
If you happen to run across a tape Chief, let me know. I'd be willing to purchase a copy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts