Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help a friend get her Bison Satoh, the thing will not run. Turns over but nothing.

So she told me that it ran earlier this year, battery went dead. So they jumped it and again dead. she rebuild the alternator. Then wouldn't start so they so they rebuild the starter. ever since then it would not start.

The other thing is once you fire the fuel pump the engage starter it does not want to disengage.
I was thinking the key switch was bad, she got a new switch and I added that and same thing. so I wonder if this would cause it not to start.

spark is getting to plugs but maybe to weak?

It had 12 volts to top of ballast resistor and then 6 volts to bottom side of the ballast resistor. Took off the distributor cap and rotor seems worn and is there suppose to be a ball or spring in the center of top of cap. of course I cannot get under the cover to look at points

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just a guy that has to work on my tractor, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

1. If you get spark it's not points or distributor. But it could be timing. I'm not familiar with the Bison so can't advise where TDC is going to be on number 1 cylinder to set.
2. If solenoid is hanging up, either current is hanging up the magnet or the gears are hanging up. It shouldn't keep a motor from running but flywheel will sure grind up the driveworks. If it got rebuilt, this should not be a problem so I would check voltage to the starter (should be same as battery voltage) then remove starter and hook directly to battery and see if starter runs and solenoid engages. You'll need to check them separately.
3. The ballast resistor should actually change voltage. Again, not sure about Bison and what that change should be, but the resistor should, if working ok, lower voltage. 12 v to 6v sounds about right on older stuff. May be for like 6 v lamps or something.
4. The spark is not going to be too weak, but it'd be good to understand the right plugs to use and the gap.

Have you checked fuel? Fuel would be my first guess after a winter. If the owner left gas or diesel in it, there's a chance it could have gelled up a little. Is it carburetor? Open up bowl and float to start. I'm probably not much help but good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate any help, We bought a carb kit just in case, however everything she tells me seems it started after she had to have the alternator and starter rebuild. Odd that both had to be done first off. Seems everyone comes out to her farmette and charges her but nothing get fixed.

It ran this year about month or two ago. I think to many hands have been on it, wires are every where. I have on order a distributor cap, plugs, points.

Its out in the pasture now so I am going to try and bring it to my place and work on it in a garage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts