1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Troybilt Horse owner.
Needed to replace the engine and replaced it with:

KOHLER CH270-3152 7HP ENGINE FOR TILLERS

The engine starts and runs fine, but as soon as I try tilling even a couple inches deep it dies.
Fuel tank is full, crankcase oil is at correct level.

I can only get most of the way down a 20 foot row before it dies suddenly.
If I level the tiller again, it starts right up.

Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The business I bought the Kohler engine from at the solution to the problem.
You basically need to tip the engine forward towards the ground until the tiller tines are about 8" off the ground. Then add enough oil to the crankcase to bring it back to the normal full level.
This way when tilling the oil sensor still senses oil and doesn't kill the engine.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Do you know for sure it's the oil sensor that's causing the issue,?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You're not the first guy to put a CH270 on a Troy-Bilt Horse. I could tell you what Kohler Tech Service told me to do about the oil sensor problem, but then there would be a 1/2 dozen guys post after me that will say "No don't do that":rolleyes:. So, you need to hear it direct from the guys that build the engine and cover the warranty claim if anything goes wrong....

Kohler Engine Tech Service Line
1-800-544-2444

You don't have to be a Dealer to call them

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I replaced my original 8 HP B&S motor on my Horse after it threw a rod, I always checked oil before each use and kept it full. I replaced it with an exact fit B&S 7-1/2 HP motor. It has a warning on the 2nd page of the new engine manual in 1" block letters that the rear tines must be placed on an 8" block when filling or checking the oil level. This gives the correct amount of lubrication to the motor in the tilling position. This was never in the original manual for the Horse. The original motor did not have any oil level sensors or safety cutouts. It must be important or they would not have put such a blatent warning in the new manual. The new motor does have a low oil shutoff sensor. I think George has the correct solution. FYI. The 7-1/2 HP motor has plenty of power for the Horse.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The CH270 has a splash lube system, not an oil pump, and also comes with an oil level shutdown switch. Kohler says the max Angle of Operation on any of their engines with splash lube is 25 degrees.

Ed - Do you have that response in a Word document that you just copy and paste every time there is a thread about a replacement engine on a Troy-Bilt Horse tiller? You've got me to thinking about a way I could save a whole lot of time posting about engine problems on this forum using copy/paste and be 100% right all of the time:).

"Call Kohler 1-800-456-4537"
"Call Briggs 1-800-444-7774"

Which reminds me, it's about time to send another Dominos Meat Lovers pizza to the guys on the other end of both of those numbers, just so I don't start getting that "Oh, it's you again?" attitude:D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I can't do anything right now. Cannot walk yet and crushed my phone during the fall. I was going to take a pic of the instructions and post it that way. I only have the paper instr manual. I will check online when I get out and see if an electronic copy is available.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ed-- I was just pulling your leg (hopefully the good one) trying to brighten your day:). I can imagine what you're going through. I had a hip replaced last summer and that wasn't even close to a fun time.

I will warn you that a man can only watch so many Andy Griffith reruns before you just want to punch Barney right between the eyes. That damn Floyd got on my nerves too, and don't even get me started on Gomer....;)

Just take it easy and things will get better

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I am spending most of my time with the new guitar, trying to learn both chords and notes. So far, its been a good diversion.

Reactions: pogobill
1 - 9 of 9 Posts