Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to pressure wash the siding on my outbuilding, i have a 425 gallon water tank in the back of my truck, does anyone know or tried letting the water from such a tank feed a pressure washer from gravity flow through a short garden hose to the pressure washer? i hate to buy 500 plus feet of garden hose to do this from a fawcet at the house. thanks for any info.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I know some pressure washers have a pressure switch showing that they have water pressure to them or they won't start. Also
if you don't supply water fast enough you may burn out the pressure pump.
Rodster

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
They have a few people that have a tank and pressure washer on a trailer that i see going down the road. I don't know if they are gravity feed or they have some pump that pumps it to the pressure washer .

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
tjw,

Don't do it. You will ruin your PW. They are made to be supplied with water under pressure from your house supply. You might be able to do something with a portible pump taking water from your tank to feed the PW. Just don't run out....

Greg

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Here is the model pressure washer you need to perform the work you speak of. click here

It is also marked down to a very good price.

Do NOT attempt to try what you suggested with a conventional pressure washer. It is designed to be supplied water under pressure and at a volume at or above the pumps output. You will burn the pump up if you try otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
We had portable mounted pressure washers on a trailer with a large poly water tank which we used to drag around the flight line to wash down aircraft with, and it had a separate feed pump to provide water from the tank to the pressure washer pump. We did not use all that high of water pressure either at the PW, and it still required a separete feed pump to supply sufficient water. My pressure washers specs require a minimum of 12 gal per minute at the water inlet. Thats equivelant to about a 1/2" water line running at 60 psi to deliver that amount of water in 1 minute.

I am still curious as to why it requires that much water in a minute though as its rated at something like 4.5 gpm max, so the water sosurce is a lot more than what is supposed to be delivered from the PW itself.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am glad i read all the replies because my brain just came back. i have a utility pump that i used to pump out my cystern for cleaning and resealing. it will fit down the opening in the top of the tank with about 25 feet of garden hose attached to the pressure washer and i have electricity at the building to run the pump and ample extension cords. now all i have to do is remember where i stored the pump. thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts