Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chief or anybody that may know
I got some barnicles on my boat hull. I was thinking of using a pressure washer on them but I was told that fibre glass can absorb water. could you ask on your boat forum if it is safe to do this. I will have to really use a lot of pressure to get them off. The other choice is a teflon spatula.
Thanks in advance Rodster:captain:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I hear there are environmental laws around pressure washing boats. The concern is that the crap on the bottom of the boat will not take well to streams or other sources when in such a bulk form.

The other issue is the actual pressure level. If it is to high you can take off the protective seal of a boat and even the paint. It looks like it is a common method for cleaning, but you have to be careful.

I remember hearing that the best time to hit a boat with a pressure washer is right when the boat gets out of the water... in time before the slimy stuff starts to harden.

I'm not in the boating community, but I have been around some that are and I remember conversations related to some of this stuff. :D

I used to go out with this group on a regular basis where there were a few boaters and a few jet ski'ers. We would go out, sand dock, and jet ski and cook out for the day. Nice sharing of stuff to make it enjoyable for everyone.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Rodster, you can pressure wash fiberglass BUT you need to be very careful around any ding or cracks in the gel coat. Too much pressure for too long in these areas can result in a chunk of gel coat being stripped away. I use the pressure washer on my Sea Ray. Just use a little less pressure and a 30 - 45 degree nozzle. Experiment with the distance you hold the nozzle away from the boat surface.

Are you stripping the boat bottom to repaint? If so, does the boat live on a trailer or in the water? Reason I ask is that fiberglass can develop blisters under the water line and must be repaired Before you repaint. If you think you may have any blister or are not sure. Do NOT pressure wash it until you have had someone inspect the boat bottom for blisters. They are soft voided spots or pockets under the gel coat and fiberglass surface that have filled or become staturated with fiberglass resin. Pressure washing these areas can have a "less than desirable effect. If the barnacles have dried; I am not sure a pressure washer will remove them all.

I am not really up on this stuff since I trailer my boat. I will post your question over there. It might be better for you to join and post it yourself as membership is free and there will be no middle man (me) to confuse things. :D ;) Your call. I am sure Bo, Trent, and Capt. Ken would more than delighted to see you over there. Capt. Ken and Trent do this stuff for a living and I am a rookie. You would be well served to get it straight from the horses mouth. :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys
My boat is sitting in the salt for 7 weeks a year. the rest of the time it is on the trailer. I got little ocean critters that stick like a barnicle. My bottom is solid and not painted.
Chief....can you send me the link for the boat site?
Rodster

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Thanks Guys
My boat is sitting in the salt for 7 weeks a year. the rest of the time it is on the trailer. I got little ocean critters that stick like a barnicle. My bottom is solid and not painted.
Chief....can you send me the link for the boat site?
Rodster
Here you go!

Boat Doctor

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Rodster, since you boat does not spend long periods in the water, you probably are a lot less likely to have any blisters and pressure washing will be OK. Run the question by Bo or one of the others and I am sure they was have the latest poop on stripping the bottom.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Environmental Concerns

The big issue environmentally is not to introduce new species into the lakes or rivers your wastewater ends up in. If your sewer ends up in a river, then the washed off barnacle may live through the process and get to live in the lake.

20 years down the line the 'rodster' Barnacle may have adapted well to the lake where it has no natural predators and be a big pest and cause blockages in water intake lines, on boats and wharves, etc. Sort of like the Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes, or starlings.

So if you wash them off, collect the bits up and return them where they came from, or else do the pressure washing where you use the boat.

Good Luck getting the little b#$%^&ds off

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Chief
Thanks for the link.
I don't think washing the bottom of my boat will spread critters.
I am not washing it in the lake. Michigan boats cruise to Florida and all over and return to Michigan they might bring something back. I think the problem comes from ballast water from other countries.
Rodster

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
I went over and signed up on the boat forum.
I have the outdrive back on and filled with fluid. I have to wait another couple of weeks for my seats to be recovered before I can hit the water plus I still need to clean the bottom. I am looking for an EZ loader trailer just like mine except galvanized instead of paint. If I can't find an used one in A! shape I will order a new one.
Rodster

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Thanks Guys
My boat is sitting in the salt for 7 weeks a year. the rest of the time it is on the trailer. I got little ocean critters that stick like a barnicle. Rodster

Hey Rod, if its a problem.. i suppose i could take your place at the keys... my aluminum boat can handle a pressure wash...

And obviously, i would not be too unhappy about having to spend 7 weeks at the keys...

:furious: :furious:

let me know...

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i hope so... once ive started the tradition.. its a tough one to break..

we got some land in central Fla, so i think we will fly to orlando and i can show my lady what we are spening all the money on...

Then we will drive to the keys... if all goes as planned we wil only get 5 days at the keys... not enough time but better than nothing..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chief
I can't seem to join the boat forum. I signed up but then never got a conformation email with a password. Tried to join again today but it said my user name was taken so I think my membership is pending but it has been way over the 24 hours
and no email from them.
Rodster:usaflag:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Hi Chief
I can't seem to join the boat forum. I signed up but then never got a conformation email with a password. Tried to join again today but it said my user name was taken so I think my membership is pending but it has been way over the 24 hours
and no email from them.
Rodster:usaflag:
What username did you join under? Let me know so I can ask Bo to look into it and get you all straight.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Hi Chief
I have not seen anything yet.
Rodster
Rodster, can you PM me with your username and email address? Doc said he would set it all up for you and make you an account of Boat Doctor if I can email the information.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts