Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a lot of moisture in my neck of the woods lately. Between that and other duties, my grass was pretty high. It rained again today, but cleared off in mid-afternoon.

I try not to mow on Sunday, so I went to get some gas for my 2-stroke Lawnboy so I would have it when I get off work tomorrow. I came back and heard a couple of other mowers in the neighborhood.

The tall grass was stressing me out, so I thought with an hour of daylight left, and no visible moisture on the grass, I would mow. I use my bagger the first few mowings because my yard is really sloped and seems to be a vortex/magnet for everybody else's leaves and debris left over from the winter on my cul-de-sac. I took the bagger off and put the mulch plate on because I didn't want to empty the bag every 10 ft.

Even with the high grass with a high moisture content, the only clumping I had was just barely noticeable tire track clumping in a really thick wet part of the yard. I could see the tiny clippings coming out of the deck from the mulching blade. The 2-stroke barely changed tone when mowing through the thick and wet stuff.

I inspected the deck afterwards and it was surprised at how clean it was.

All this reminded me of how good of a little mower this is, and sad to think this might be the last "new" 2-stroke I'll be able to buy. It is a self-propelled 21" Silver Series that I purchased in '97.

Oh yeah, it started on the first pull this year!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
the good old 2-stroke l think lawnboy made one of the best 2-stroke mowers

·
Registered
518 Posts
mow we still use a lawnboy we bght new bout 20 years ago or so n its still goin strong thy r good mowers strts every time:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I picked up a 1986 Lawn-Boy model 8480, which also has the F-Series 2-stroke engines. I used it a couple of times, and I'm impressed at how well it mows. And it starts on the first pull also.

BTW, Toro bought Lawn-Boy in the late '80's, I believe in 1988.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts