Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually when I go out with the 4410 to do some mowing; I am out running at full pto rpm for 4 to 6 hours. A lot can happen during that time so here is what I do after each extended use such as this:

1. I open up and remove ALL panels and guards to remove grass, sticks, and debry.

2. I blow off the entire machine paying close attention to the battery compartment, radiator, and transmission oil cooler. A lot of dust and deby can build up in these areas and effect air flow for cooling. I have also found that blowing off the dust from the dash panel and fenders really cuts down on the amount of scuffing and scratching. It also clears out dirt and any obstruction to areas where a leak might be suspected.

3. I give the machine a general visual inspection paying close attention to fan belts, pulley belts, drive shafts (in this case MMM drive shaft), fluid line connectors, general engine area (pay special attention to suspected fuel leaks), and the 3 pt. hitch area.

4. I check the wheel lug bolts to make sure they are all there and do not show any tell tale signs of having lost torque. (i.e. loose to the feel, damage or abrasion to the wheel lug hole, or a broken off lug bolt head). This is VERY important to keep an eye on as lug bolts can sometimes work their way loose. This is pretty unusual as normally the lug bolts should maintain torque after repeated retorques when new or after installing a new wheel/tire. If several lug bolts become loose, they can cause tremendous damage to the actual axle hub they bolt too.

5. I remove, inspect, and clean off with compressed air the outer air filter, check for dirt build up in the air filter housing, and make sure the rubber dust boot that expells dirt and dust is open and works freely.

6. Since Deere mounts the batter right up against the transmission oil cooler; it gets pretty warm. I have modified the battery vent cap to prevent any battery acid from being expelled, but it is still a VERY good idea to check it and make sure all is well.

7. I check and top off all fluids as required. This is also a good time to refuel.

8. FOLD DOWN THE ROPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My garage is not high enough to park the tractor in with the ROPS extended in place. You will only forget to do this once. Ask me how I know. I lost a good pair of draws in the process. :D Seriously this a BIG safety consideration to remember, not to mention that you can seriously damage your tractor or your house. You can also torque over or flip up a tractor doing this. So if this applies, be mindful, it is easy to forget when it is late and you are tired.

9. Every 4th or 5th use I hose the machine off or will pressure wash it to keep her nice and clean, after which I follow up with a greasing of ALL zirk fittings.

10. Make note of what is on the hour meter so you can plan ahead for any scheduled maintenance.

Then I park her in the garage and make sure I level and relax the FEL controls and 3 pt. hitch, as well as REMOVE THE KEY. This is last step is REAL important if you have kids around.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Good advice Chief.

I don't have a CUT, only garden tractors but I'll be adding some
of your items to my check list.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect that many of you have some great ideas and experiences to share of your own on this subject so PLEASE post them here in this thread so we can all learn and benfit from each other's experiences and knowledge. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I always take the side panels off and blow them with compressed air after each mow as grass clippings are a problem, it really gets hot. My grandpa takes the fuel filter off once a week to clean or change it.
Ryan

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by GreenMtnMan
Hey Chief, this is good advice. Is the vented battery cap solving the battery acid problem?
You bet it is Ken. Just wanted to let everyone here know that Ken is the one who first posted this idea and it works great. A good example as to how we can all learn from each other's knowledge and experineces. Thanks again for showing me this trick Ken; it totally solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think you've covered most of the bases, Chief----those are good practices.

I went from blowing everything off with compressed air, to just firing up my blower-vac.

One area I check is the area around the transmission cooling fan. It is a plastic fan that is in front of the HST and behind the step-through underneath the seat. It looks like it could be susceptible to a stray stick or something. I'm constantly cutting new areas through tall grass on the back half of my new property, so I never know what I might kick up. Might look into installing a skid plate, as the HST filter looks vulnerable, too.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Chief

Then I park her in the garage and make sure I level and relax the FEL controls and 3 pt. hitch, as well as REMOVE THE KEY. This is last step is REAL important if you have kids around.

I learned THIS lesson this weekend. My wife, daughter, and I were out doing work in the yard. Turned away for a second and my 23mo daughter was on one of the mowers, and the key was in it. She did not start it, but kinda gave a little scare. Keys are coming out from now on.

[was kinda cute though. She was sitting there moving the steering wheel going "Daddys tractor, Daddys tractor":) ]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I pull the key so I don't leave it on and run up the hour meter!
My 7 year old knows not to start it up without me. He gets to start it up when I get ready to mow. I start mine up and let it warm up for a couple of minutes before mowing. That is after I do my preflight, which is about the same as Chiefs Post flight. Mine gets looked at before and after using the tractor. Most of the time, unless it is dark!:D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
[was kinda cute though. She was sitting there moving the steering wheel going "Daddys tractor, Daddys tractor" ]

Just like her daddy! :D

yupper:D :D :tractorsm :driving: :driving: :driving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts