Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 New Holland TN70DA
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 New Holland TN70DA. I was checking under the hood earlier and found what is pictured in the attachments. I'm new to all this and was wondering if this is the power steering reservoir and does it need to be replaced? I tried pushing down and it looks like it is broke off. Also, any ideas how something like this would happen.
Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Exactly what it is. Steering should be a function of the fluid in the gearcase. I'd replace the plastic tank as well as the hoses BUT... I'd seal off the opening in the base and give the unit a good power wash first, it's filthy and any contaminates that get in the brake system will cause issues or failure. HAS TO BE SQUEAKY CLEAN.

·
Registered
615 Posts
As a matter of reference, I check under the hoods of both my tractors prior to starting them up each time I run them. My pre trip inspection entails raising the hoods, checking belts and electrical stuff, pulling the dipstick and checking oil level and seeing how dirty the oil is, check the air filter as well, then around to the back of the tractor and check the fluid level in the gearbox, finalIy 'kick the tires and if any sound low, I get the air compressor out and top them off.

All that before I even crank the engine. Best time to check fluid levels is when everything has sat for a while and mine are always as clean under the hood as they are on the outside. Clean engine components cool much better than greasy, dirty ones and a clean engine compartment means YOU don't get dirty when doing it.

Have a lot of hours on both mine, 6000 on one, 3000 on the other. Grease my front end zerks every 10 hours as well as the loaders and grease the draft control components out back as well. Here is the 6000 hour machine...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts