Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm just sitting here typing away on battery power... We lost power about 3 hours ago and the wind is just howling!

They had 80mph gusts south of here and we are getting 40 - 45mph. Supposed to be windy till about 8pm then rain then more wind on Friday.

It's almost 10am here now so I think I'll fire up the small generator to get a few lights and the TV on. Also need it for the kerosine heaters. Might bring in some wood for the fireplace. We are going to have a strange winter, for sure.

Greg

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
you have public water? thats the only thing i am concerned with when we lose power...
we have 2 gas fireplaces so heat is covered... im fat enough to survive at least a week without food... but i still 'gotta flush' once in a while.. well water means electric pump so no water when no power... hope you get it back soon greg.. youve got a generator.. do you lose power often?

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SJ,

We are on a "community" water system so no problem there. I have 2 generators, one 4.2kw and one 7.5kw. We have outages often enough to justify at least one. I got the second one for the higher output and electric start. I'm just running the smaller one now because it's quieter and we don't need the extra power right now. Just some lights, the TV, heater fan (kerosine) right now.

We just have to hope none of the trees we have in the community, and the property, don't come down. Some are 70 - 80+ feet tall.

Greg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It does tend to stink when you don't have water or heat. I find it always seems to lose power at night in our area. That means stumbing around the house looking for a flashlight. What a pain. I have a generator, but rarely us it unless we lose power for over three hours or more.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's 2pm and we went out at 6am. Long one this time but tons of trees down all over the place. The tree service people are going to be busy. Sure glad I had those 5 taken out last week or I would have some of them in the yard...on the house..

One about 16" in diameter came down on the house across the street. (the tree is the neighbors). It went through their fence and badly damaged it, missed their truck by about 2 feet, took out the corner of their tent camping trailer, tipped the rain gutter of their garage but missed the roof by a hair!

I've got the 7.5kw fired up now as it is on the side of the house by the garage and so we can't hardly hear it. The small one is on the patio and is a bit noisy.

May have to start thinking about plugging in the refrigerators and freezer later if we are going to be out all night.

I was going to go fishing in a local club tournament Sunday but the weather is starting to look ugly.

Take care everyone.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Supposed to rain here but I cannot seem to find any of it ----
Maybe a greedy flying :pig: has taken all of it for himself? Who could that be, Argee? I am hoping that it will rain bacon ----
YUMMY :pig: then I could wash it down with a satsuma smoothie

:D
Andy

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...it's been 12 hours now and still no idea when we will get power back. Generators are working well. Glad I have kept them maintained and run every month.

I loaned my neighbor the small one a year or so ago as they had a new baby and without power, no lights or heat. He was happy to borrow it but took him a couple of months to return. Looked over the fence and they have lights on... Guess he got a generator of his own.

Storm isn't over yet and there are trees in homes all over the county. One house had 3 come down and pretty much wasted the house, but luckily no one was hurt. Lots of boats damaged at marinas on the west side of Lake Washington. East side had little wind. Go figure.

Oh well...guess I'll check the gas level and bring in another can.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Be careful with your fireplace and the high winds. I have an old non-airtight Franklin free standing fireplace stove. When the wind gets over 40 mph, it gets real hard to control the fire. I let it go out and wait for the winds to calm down. Most of the heat gets sucked out the chimney at that point anyway. The weather channel just showed some pictures of damage out there as I'm typing this. Stay safe!

Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not much wind here yet, looking like Sat for us. We usually always lose power here on the island. Generator ready and kindling already split!

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got power back on about 10:30pm. Man, 16 hours. Generators were sure a help.

We are getting mixed reports on a possible second storm tonight/tomorrow. Some are expecting another windy Friday night and Saturday. This one would come from the south rather than the east.

Trees are all over the place and they still have about 100k homes without power.

freebird, take care. You could really get hit.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts