Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother is on AOL. She has a terrible time with popups. I don't know anything about AOL. Is it a browser as well as an email client? I run zone alarm on mine plus use the google thingy. I get no popups. Can I set hers up the same way?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Old_Nodaker

AOL is an email client and browser. It also provides a lot of its own content. Sometimes the content is within AOL, and sometimes it takes you to the web via it's built in browser.

I'm assuming your mother uses AOL to get on the internet, presumably through dial-up. She should be able to use a regular browser (such as Internet Explorer) to see non-AOL content once she is connected to the internet via AOL. Maybe you could set up her browser with the Zone Alarm, etc., to block her pop ups.

I looked through my AOL account, and found no settings to block pop-ups ( I'm on a Mac, however). I don't notice the pop-ups, because all I use AOL is for email, their financial boards, and sports, so I'm not getting on the the web via AOL. I have another ISP for internet, and get a discounted rate from AOL for AOL to "piggyback" or connect through my ISP.

The only reason I have both services, is my family members don't want to give up the "screen names" of 9 years. I've just recently convinced them to drop AOL, after their other email addresses are distributed and recognized.

AOL seems to get a bad rap, but I have found it reliable since we went to the BYOA (Bring Your Own Access) plan to "ride" our ISP. Email client has been extremely reliable.

Try to get her to use her PC's browser with pop-up protection if it can't be controlled through AOL.

·
Registered
977 Posts
i don't usually answer computer questions because i know 0 about them but we are on aol 9.0 and on the bottom rite of the page there is a little box that says block pop ups i clicked it and have had 0 popups since

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by bear
i don't usually answer computer questions because i know 0 about them but we are on aol 9.0 and on the bottom rite of the page there is a little box that says block pop ups i clicked it and have had 0 popups since
Well there you go! Have her check this option. If it is not there, then make sure she is on 9.0.

Please disregard my previous complicated answer. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Yup, I am on AOL 9.0 and it does have a pop up blocker. Works nice, eaven lets you turn it on or shut it off. AOL gets a bad rap, but I don;t mind it. Could be cheeper though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks. I think she's still on version 7. Tried version 8 and had so much trouble she went back. I assume 9 has the bugs out of it? She's 85 and gets frustrated if things don't work right, unlike the rest of us. :mad: I see version 9 disks around all over now.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Ya 8 was bad when it first came out. Got better as it went along. 9 Is nice. Not bugy at all. I would switch if I was you.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Old_Nodaker
She's 85 and gets frustrated if things don't work right, unlike the rest of us. :mad: I see version 9 disks around all over now.
Yea some people don't like change my Mom was the same way she has been needing a new Computer for over a year. But she didn't wont to give up windows 98 because she was used to it.
Will about a month ago hers bit the dust so she had to give it up and get a new one that had windows xp. Shes used to it now just takes a little time to learn how to use it.
Jody

1 - 14 of 14 Posts