Tractor Forum banner

How do you position your loader when not in use?

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know Fordfarm. I think the buckets can take more weather than the rams myself. The bucket is just a thick steel box, whereas the rams are precision machined and polished, with lots of seals and wipers. I'd sure think that leaving the rams contacted would prevent them shafts from oxidation which would help to wipe out your seals. By leaving the rods in, you prevent the oxygen and elements from getting to those rods and contaminating your hydraulic oil, as the rods are emmersed in the oil while sitting. I don't know, but it makes me cringe thinking about it. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Yeah, I was leaving my bucket down so it wouldn't hold water, and also to put the points in the ground. Noticed the rams were rusting and quickly put an end to that. Even if I were to park in my shed, with length of tractor either the loader or battery compartment will be outside. I have a lawnmower cover that covers the seat/battery and all instruments/controls.

·
Registered
International
12 Posts
I park mine inthe shop and put the boom down with the bucket up as per the owners manual. The reason given is that thiat position retracts all the hydraulic rams protecting them from possible damage from the elements.
I park Outside right now, building a Barn to park it in, but all pistons fully in to protect the pistons and the seals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My equipment lives outdoors here in the good 'ole Pacific Northwest. I leave it in the safest position possible and never worry about exposed cylinders. I've left it on top of open pits, blocked roadways, up against a building that was falling over, storm damaged trees. Left overnight with full scoops of dirt, gravel, feed, water, wood chips, too many to remember. If I lived elsewhere maybe a different story, but I don't.
Been running lots of equipment for over 55 yrs now and never had a cylinder problem from exposure. Now, I've bent a few, scraped a few, broke a few and replaced a few on used equipment that I have no back story for, don't know how they were handled before I got them. I've had to replace a few excavator thumb cylinders after loading brush burns a few hundred times. That heat is murder on cylinders in general but the wipers and seals...dang!
BTW, I've left the loader at fire watch so many times, bucket filled with water. I know a lot of guys that keep their dump beds up to drain for months with lift cylinders extended/ exposed with no cylinder problems. One dude packs grease around the rod head at the wiper and another tapes a bonnet to the rod then drapes over the tube but these cylinders are vertical. The scissor guys don't do anything but block beds.
With that said....I personally don't care about exposure as much as I care about leaving a cylinder rod in one position for extended periods without any exercise or repositioning.

Great question and fascinating posts.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts