Tractor Forum banner

How do you position your loader when not in use?

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
546cowboy
23 Posts
Well I am kind of limited myself because the cylinders leak some if I leave the bucket turned up and all the way down. I found that if I leave the tilt cylinders extended on the bucket and lower the lift cylinders down with the bucket on the floor it doesn't leak. So that is the way I do it but it is stored inside. If I had to leave it outside I would have to live with the leaking.

·
Supporting Member
119 Posts
Loader Position

My thought on this subject is this. I lower my bucket to the ground, turn the tractor off and move my joystick around to release all pressure on the loader. My thought is this, Hydraulic hoses, under pressure, are more apt to wear out faster. People always complain because their Hydraulics Leak, so I try an give my hoses a little break from all that pressure :pedro:

·
Supporting Member
119 Posts
Speedwrench
I copy on the College Payments. I was looking forward to my new shop also. Then an accident at work left my Wife permanently Disabled. Oh well, my ole girl probably wouldn't know how to act, with a roof over her head.

·
28 Posts
I have to leave mine with it in the dump position to get the hood open. after being parked a few weeks it needs to be primed to start and to do that i have to lift the hood . The guard sticks out and I can't swing it out of the way to open the hood with the bucket flat or curled up. rust on the pistons has never been a problem for me and I have stuff that is over 30 years old. Park it inside when I can, more to protect the seat. I wish I had a cab .

·
3 Posts
no load

regardless of inside or outside, hydraulic cyliners should always be "stored" with no load on them. saves valves, cylinder seals and hoses. never seen a hydraulic tandem disc stored over the winter in an "up" position with pressure on the cylinder or hoses. truck boxes are not left up even overnite unless it is done so to eliminate rain from pooling inthemt. better option would be to park the cab uphill.

some years ago i left a loader up overnite and it was poised over my ancient but working two row planter. i did this to squeeze the tractor in the shed to avoid some foul weather. during the night what appeared to be a perfectly good hose split and the loader crushed the seed boxes! i paid dearly for "new" used planter boxes. i vowed never again to make that mistake again. now, if i have a choice the loader bucket will get wet and the seed boxes will maintain their original shape!

glad i wasn't under that loader when the hose broke. i'm short anyway but if that bucket had come down on top of me i would currently have to look up to see a pocket gopher's vest buttons.

·
32 Posts
All equment needs to be grounded whin left safety plus like you said take presher off dump trucks lift up 2 feet put a 4/4 on rail drop bed open tail gate Where there is a lot of snow raise 5feet slide 4/4 bake Moore both sides of rail drop box slowely. Spray box with diesel Old149

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seen too many rusted shafts... pitted and ruined .. I leave them down and curled... all shafts are covered. dirty pitted shafts also ruin the end seals quicker and shorten the life of cyls and make them leak sooner. Lots of special cyls are non obtainium on parts and seals.... So ruin a $1000 cyl or a $300 bucket...And dont even get into backhoe cyls...

buckets are just metal... I paint them every couple of years with a cheap spray can of black paint.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Seen too many rusted shafts... pitted and ruined .. I leave them down and curled... all shafts are covered. dirty pitted shafts also ruin the end seals quicker and shorten the life of cyls and make them leak sooner. Lots of special cyls are non obtainium on parts and seals.... So ruin a $1000 cyl or a $300 bucket...And dont even get into backhoe cyls...

buckets are just metal... I paint them every couple of years with a cheap spray can of black paint.
Yep! Those cylinders are much more vulnerable to damage than a bucket.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
One of my neighbors has a Ford / New Holland CUT and if he has to park it outside,for any reason,he rolls the bucket forward,and lowers it,then covers the rams with some 2.5" shop vac hoses,that he split down the side.Sort of like those wire looms .
Even if he rolls the bucket back, all it does is pops the covers off.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
One thing the info tells us is that there's a lot of folks who need indoor storage for their tractors!:lmao:

·
oldguychuck
194 Posts
I park mine the very same as ben70b shows in his picture - nose out ready to go.

I do tip my bucket further - all the way. Years ago I went to the Dept of Highways and got a couple of old grader blades and cut them to fit my bucket. I welded one on and still no needed to replace it. It does save bends and twists in the bucket lip itself - quite pleased with it actually.

Happy Easter one & all, as we go hopping down the bunny trail !!!!!!

oldguychuck

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Looking the stats over, it appears that their are a lot of folks that need some buildings!:D

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
glad to see I was in the top 30%...LOL, as far as pressure in the lines, they will dry rot long before the will leak from a fitting. I have been making my own hoses for 30 years, both gates and parker presses. Not one hose on my wrecker ever leaked and I left the booms up above the winching deck all the time.

Reactions: Willy A

·
Registered
295 Posts
The way I was taught was to leave all movable parts of equipment are to be put on the ground and buckets were they can't collect water , holds more when cold nights come in to play when October comes around when it starts to get cold out at night . The power of ice is unbelievable if you know what I mean if you live north of the mason/Dixon line in the u.s.a . Anybody knows if you live in the states in the snow belt and have a worn bucket and you didn't get a chance to re face the bottom of the bucket and just kept going to were it out what happens if water gets in it , the water freezes and breaks the welds

61 - 80 of 106 Posts