Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
It would be nice to see that on the evening news, but I probably wont. I wonder what was in the truck. Even the driver's name is suspicious. Hate to be that way, but seems like he was up to something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is really so alarming is why this guy reacted so extreme for something so minor and the drive he exhibited to get away. The sheriff dept. captain I took the pistol permit class and range with told me that the trooper shot this guy with his service weapon which was a Glock 31 which fires a Sig Suer .357 cartridge. That is NO pussy cat round either! It rivals the .357 magnum in power. This guy got up and walked away after taking a round through the chest and proceeded to drive his rig away until a mile or so down the road he lost too much blood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Woops, that would scare the crap out of me!!! Bigger gun or use more lead, not exactly one shot to put em down. I guess that is why you have a semi auto, if they are still coming then keep shooting! Fire for affect!:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Stewart
Woops, that would scare the crap out of me!!! Bigger gun or use more lead, not exactly one shot to put em down. I guess that is why you have a semi auto, if they are still coming then keep shooting! Fire for affect!:cheers:
My guess is that this trooper is answering so seriously painful career questions about how a guy with a knife got his gun and used it against him. I am still very interested in exactly how the gun misfired? God was watching over him that day. :truth:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
really the guy was critically wounded but still able to pull the troopers gun from him.. that is one lucky to be alive trooper...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
What was in the truck? Suspicious behavior by the driver makes one think he was hiding something but that fact has yet to be revealed in the two articles. Also the trooper was pretty careless to let the guy get his gun away from him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am amazed the truck driver was able to even stand or survive after being shot. A 125 grain jacketed hollow point bullet traveling at over 1,400 fps must have done horrendous damage to the truck driver's body. I don't see how he didn't bleed to death.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Would a police issue Glock 31 have a magazine disconnect? When you drop the mag out of the gun, it won't fire? That is something that some departments require to render their gun useless if grabbed by a perpitrator. The officers are trained to drop the mag if the bad guy is wrestling for your gun, and then to go for their backup firearm. Hopefully while the bad guy is trying to figure out why the gun he just grabbed doesn't work, the officer can shoot him with one that does work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I am amazed the truck driver was able to even stand or survive after being shot. A 125 grain jacketed hollow point bullet traveling at over 1,400 fps must have done horrendous damage to the truck driver's body. I don't see how he didn't bleed to death.
Chief,
Aren't police supposed to have metal jacketed ammo like the military or have times changed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
The AF still is using ball amo in our 9mm's I think silver tips would be a better choice but, kinder and gentler you know!!!:truth:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by bontai Joe
Would a police issue Glock 31 have a magazine disconnect? When you drop the mag out of the gun, it won't fire? That is something that some departments require to render their gun useless if grabbed by a perpitrator. The officers are trained to drop the mag if the bad guy is wrestling for your gun, and then to go for their backup firearm. Hopefully while the bad guy is trying to figure out why the gun he just grabbed doesn't work, the officer can shoot him with one that does work.
To my knowledge Smith & Wesson has magazine safeties and they are death traps in my opinion. The glock has a trigger, firing pin, and drop saftey. No magazine safety I know of. Could have been that the truck driver had so much blood on his hands that it fowled the trigger safety.

Glock Safeties

The trooper screwed the pooch BAD letting the truck driver get within his zone of safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DeereBob
Chief,
Aren't police supposed to have metal jacketed ammo like the military or have times changed?
Times have certainly changed. Most if not all police agencies use hollow point or other expanding type bullets. Full metal jacket rounds tend to over-penetrate and risk ricochetes or hitting by standers. Expanding ammo tends to put the shootee down as fast as is possible.

The military uses FMJ ammo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Chief,
I agree with you on magazine disconnects. Without the magazine, at least it would still fire single loaded rounds if necessary, much better than becoming a paperweight. I was just aware that some departments have that kind of policy.

Deerebob,
Most (not all) police units no longer use full metal jacketed rounds (aka ball ammo) because of it's tendency to penetrate the bad guy and continue down range hurting innocent bystanders. Much better to have the hollow point expand and stop in the bad guy. Also much better to make a BIG hole with the expanded hollowpoint and have that bullet dump 100% of it's energy in the bad guy. It's a win-win situation for everyone! except maybe the bad guy:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Stewart
The AF still is using ball amo in our 9mm's I think silver tips would be a better choice but, kinder and gentler you know!!!:truth:
Full metal jacket feeds the most reliable but use of soft point, hollow point or any type of expanding ammunition is a violation of the Geneva Convention. There are some SERIOUS penalties for even being caught with or using this type of ammo in a war or hostile zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Full metal jacket feeds the most reliable but use of soft point, hollow point or any type of expanding ammunition is a violation of the Geneva Convention. There are some SERIOUS penalties for even being caught with or using this type of ammo in a war or hostile zone.
But of course, car bombs & suicide vests are perfectly all right since they're deployed by 'irregular' forces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CatDaddy, I don't make the rules. I was just one of the GI's that had to abide by them when I went to war in the Persian Gulf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
I'm aware of that Chief. I just think it's insane to say that it's O.K. to wound someone with a FMJ round, but it's not O.K. to wound someone with a hollowpoint.

Chem/Bio weapons are also against the 1925 Geneva Convention, the 1972 BWC, and the 1993 CWC, but nobody did squat when Saddam used them against Iran or his own people.

On a side note: It's O.K. for 'civilian contractors' to use H.P.s since they're not in the 'regular' military.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
My understanding of one of the logistics behind the use of FMJs is that the idea is to wound as many as possible. It only takes one man to bury a body, it takes a whole hospital to try and save the wounded.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In addition to what Parts mentioned; FMJ rounds are temendously more reliable in full automatic weapons. The softpoint and HP rounds have a higher rate of jams. Rounds with exposed lead tips also do not store for long periods of time without corroding either. One particularly important point is that FMJ round have much more capability to penetrate light armor or barriers which is typically the scenario in a fire fight. I will take FMJ rounds over the other stuff for battle use. A few SLAP round thrown into the mix are very helpful as well. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top