Please Help me Build a Front End Loader

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Wishbonez51, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Wishbonez51

Wishbonez51 Wishbonez51

Jun 1, 2011
    Hello gang,

Ok I have the bug to build my very own front end loader. I have been on a couple of sites and see some really good builds. I have also been on Youtube and found a dad and his son completely deck out a garden tractor I think just like mine I will get the link to the video so maybe somebody could direct me to that kit to build or a set of plans.

My tractor; 1992-94 Craftsman Special Edition Indy 500 with an Onan 20hp twin.

In the youtube video they definately installed a hydrolic system which would work off the pully system and thats exactly what I would like to do.

So I could use some help into how and where to purchase and install the hydrolic system using my existing system.

Things needed to solve.

Hydrolic rams sizes for the FEL
    Hydrolic manifold
    Hydrolic pump
    how the system kicks into neutral when not using levers
    How to install pump

thanks for all the help and there will be plenty of pictures and hopefully instructions into how we were able to design, build and impliment my new FEL.

THANKS WISHBONE

2. BelarusBulldog

BelarusBulldog Registered User

Feb 19, 2011
    1/The size of your hydraulic cylinders will be determined by the distance you need to move the arms and the force required to do so. 2/Hydraulic manifold, not sure where this is used? 3/Hydraulic pump, needs to be the correct GPM at your rated speed. 4/Your "Neutral" as you call it, is simply a bypass valve built into the lever valves. When in the neutral position, the fluid simply flows back into the system. 5/How to install pump. To answer this you're going to have to supply more information and some pictures of your setup. Bye

3. Marcintosh

Marcintosh New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Thinking about this project, wouldn't it just be easier to use linear actuators instead of hydraulic's?

4. IH farm boy

IH farm boy Registered User

Aug 29, 2010
    northern hydralics has a web site with some , hydralics . when buying hydralics make shure you get open center valves . they will have your neutral position . they make closed center stuff as well and it will raise hell, if your not set up for it . use a gear pump for your hydralics there cheaper and more compact and take more punishment and have lots of flow. something around 5 to 8 gallons a minute should work pretty well if your just running the loader . you dont want to get real carried away with flow . cause you can run into cooling problems just for the fact that its hard to get a large storage tank on a garden tractor . we build trucks at work that have plows and sanders and other stuff , on 15 to 30 gallons a minute . electric actuators would work but are painfully slow , and tear up a charging system on a garded tractor if it will handle it at all .

5. IH farm boy

IH farm boy Registered User

Aug 29, 2010
    my dads skid loader has dual three inch cylinders on the bucket and boom i wouldnt go much bigger than that deffinetly not smaller . we can lift about 6 to 700 lbs easily with a 22 hp onan . when you look at pumps they rate them at varying rpms try to find them as close to 3600 rpm as possible but since your using a pulley system yopu can alter the operating rpm

6. farmertim

farmertim Troubleshooter (in trouble again)

Dec 1, 2010
    It is my undertsnding that normally the hydraulic cylinders are sized by cylinder diameter, rod diameter and overall extended length.
    so something like 3" x 1 1/2" x 30"
    I am open to correction on this
    Cheers

7. tractor beam

tractor beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    Need to factor in how much weight that front axle will handle too.

8. Boudreaux4

Boudreaux4 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Keep in mind these things

9. bosshogg

bosshogg Registered User

Aug 6, 2012
    I can gaurantee a tractor company has a team of engineers working for a year to determine what weight a tractor can safely lift and then designing the loader frame and ultimately the hydraulic system to make it work. Unless you are skilled beyond imagination at welding and steel design...I would think of another project...sorry for the buzz kill.

10. randym99

randym99 New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Hi Wishbone.Go check out Mcmaster Carr.They have alot of info in their catalogue about this kind of stuff.Also look up the "Burden Surplus center"They have tons of new,used,and surplus hyd gadgets to make things from.Don't over build it(although most of us do!) Its a Garden tractor,not a bull dozer.Use cheap stuff to mock it up.Cardboard tubes,cardboard,duct tape,sticks.It sounds funny but I have saved alot by thinking with my hands this way. I think there is even a site on line somewhere that deals with just homemade loaders and backhoes.Have fun,learn lots,and Stay safe.

11. JD265

JD265 Registered User

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi,
    I am building a loader on a John deere 265 and I am abot 1/2 way done.I have some plans I found on the inet that gave me my basic design and they are great.If your interested let me know.I have been through what you are going through.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. PeteNM

PeteNM Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2003
    This sounds real interesting. Do you have any pictures of the frame and bucket?

13. JD265

JD265 Registered User

Jan 24, 2014
    Here is what I have so far.Wishbonez51 if you have questions ask and I will try and help,size of the cylinders is as explained above.

Attached Files:

14. PeteNM

PeteNM Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2003
    That's certainly a dandy start and some good looking work. Thanks so much for the pics.