Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting grass a couple of nights ago and my eyesight was focused 10 feet in front of me in a downward direction when a small tree limb I never saw hit me square in the face. It took my glasses off, but the split second of protection those glasses gave me allowed me to react enough to avoid injury. Eyes are delicate things and not replaceable. Prtect them always.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
You are dead right on, Joe. I see TONS of people who are so cavalier with regard to their eyesight. When the guys came over and ground my stumps, the owner of the company had to almost FORCE his guys to use eye protection. It only takes one time that is it. I would rather be safe even if they think it isn't "cool" ---

BTW, you cutting down your peach tree? :furious: :furious:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I'm planning on planting more this spring. I have some worthless weed trees that need to come down, they are only 3-4" dia, but taking up room that could be producing something to eat. Might get a guard dog by next harvest time.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I must admit.. i do wear ear muffs when cutting but not safety glasses..

i do wear glasses when using a saw or weed wacking etc..

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I wear muffs on the tractor and mower and use safety glasses when weed whacking.

Joe, make sure to plant a couple of dozen extra peach trees for your worthless mutant neighbors. :D ;) Its a shame someone hasn't developed a genetically modified peach tree which bears laxative fruit! :furious: :lmao: :furious: :lmao: :furious: :lmao: :spinsmile

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I always wear my safety glases and earmuffs anytime I am in the yard on the lwan tractor the Kubota or just working in the yard. My safety glasses are prescrition safety glass with a nice wire frame. About 4 years ago I hit a a small rock and the lawntractor spit it out and hit a fence post and the rock then bounced up and hit my right sie of my face next to my eye. I had a sore spot for a week where the rock hit me. This little rock was only about 3/8ths of a inch but getting a black eye was not my idea of fun. So on go the safety glass WITH THE SIDE SHEILDS and I feel safer withthem on. The reason I wear the earmuffs is to protect my hearing and the fact I have a tube in my left ear and the noise is just plain to annoying to me. A baseball hat to complete the outfit on my head and I am done (the hat to protect my bald spot from getting sunburned and its a old habit from the Air Force).:eek:mg:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I can vouch for this myself.

About two years ago I was rebuilding a drive shaft. I had to replace the Ujoints, but one was rusted up solid. So I wip out the ol wizzwheel, and cut it out. Well a little something hits me in my right eye. Felt like dirt,or a flake of rust. Next day STILL there eaven after washing it out. OK big pain now, so go to the Dr. They cant find anything, so they tell me it must be gone, and just irrated, so give it a day or two. Well that time comes and goes and STILL in pain. Go to an eye sergen, and there it a little wire like scrap of steel stuck IN my eye like a sliver.[yuck] Well he removes it, and luckly there was no dammage, or scaring, but here is the clincher. This was in my right eye. Will I happan to be leagly blind in my left eye, [can see shapes, and light, but almost no focos] so if I had dammanged the site in my right one I would have been [email protected]$&ed!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts