Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a plasma cutter to cut 9 guage expanded metal for a large project. I had planned on buying a Miller but the guy at the local welding shop talked me into a Thermal Dynamics Drag Gun. Anyone ever used one of these?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well, I have never used one before, but all I know is I REALY want to get one. A guy can NEVER have enough tools.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Next on the list

Originally posted by bear
we have a miller and like it what was his reasoning against it
Next on the list and not too far away. Just don't mention "plasma Cutter" to my wife if you see her. I would also like to know by not the "Miller".
:ditto:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ened up buying a Thermo Dynamics Plasma cutter-38. This is one of the swetest tools I have ever used. It cuts thru 9 guage like butter. It is rated to cut up to 1/2 mild steel.
I have a Millermatic mig welder that has worked well over the past 4 years. The salesman at the welding shop said Themo Dynamics is the best of the best in plasma cutting technology (they invented it). The TD DraGun that I origionally considered was too small and under powered for my needs.
I have been using the TD 38 for a week now and am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Years ago in college industrial arts we had two large arc welders connected in parallel combined with compressed air to cut heavy steel. I believe it was called carbon arc gouging? It was a lot of fun and created massive amounts of fire and smoke. Are the plasma cutters something similar but more refined?
Just curious,

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by johnray13
I ened up buying a Thermo Dynamics Plasma cutter-38. This is one of the swetest tools I have ever used. It cuts thru 9 guage like butter. It is rated to cut up to 1/2 mild steel.
I have a Millermatic mig welder that has worked well over the past 4 years. The salesman at the welding shop said Themo Dynamics is the best of the best in plasma cutting technology (they invented it). The TD DraGun that I origionally considered was too small and under powered for my needs.
I have been using the TD 38 for a week now and am very happy with it.
OK, you got me... I just HAVE to ask.

What do you work on, where you need to cut 1/2" plate????? :eek:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ebay link is it. The Cutmaster 38.
Like I said in the original post, I am cutting a large amount (about 500-4x8 sheets) of 9 guage expanded metal. But the 38 will cut up to 1/2 mild.
I rarely cut plate steel, but do cut a lot of 3/8 angle iron and channel steel. Mostly lighter stuff between 1/4" and 16 guauge. This is the tool for it. The machine has to be hooked up to a small air compressor (I would say at least 3 scfm @90psi- but 6 is better) The plasma cutter is very similar to a mig welder, except from the tip the plasma arc (about 1/8" by 1") cuts thru the metal and the air blows out the slag. It basically vaporizes the metal instantly. That's what impressed me. The plasma cutters power. I was amazed at how fast it sliced thru 3/8 steel. Instanly. It creates about as much smoke as mig welding (a little) and no carbon.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
cutting

Just like using a torch a plasma cutter does not like rust scale. You can take a molton metal bath when it blows back by you.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Nothing wrong with a miller plasma cutter by any means. The differences in any of the equipment makers stuff be it red, blue, yellow or gray is so infinite unless you were told different you would have a hard time telling most of the stuff of opne brand against the others. However, when I was initially looking for a smaller more portable MIG welder I did have the opportunity to try Red, Blue and Yellow machines in the 170 to 185 amp class out. They all worked fine. One had a bnit more top end one had a bit more bottom end, and one was very very fussy about input voltage and if it was too low it made for a very ropey looking weld bead, but it still welded fine. BUT: I bought a Lincoln SP185 Plus, over the Miller for only one reason. The Miller IMHO made nice welds and had a pretty nice feed systemn for the wire and a less sensitive trigger control on the gun, but when you increased the heat it automatically increased wire feed rate. I don't need no machine doing the thinking for me. Other than that feature on the Miller I more than likely would have bought the MIller. NOw I have the Lincoln SP185 PLus and a Power Mig 300. My wife would kill me if I even ask for anyting welding related for some time to come, other than consumables.

The Thermal brand machine is a very nice machine indeed, but then again they all are. Some day perhaps I'll get the courage to ask her to let me buy a plasma cutter, but at the rate I am consuming gas, and wire I have to wear my helmet when I ask for the check book to go get something;)

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Chipmaker

Miller must have listened to your complaint. The 210 has fully adjustable independent wire feed speed control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts