Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some pics for Andy today while I was drilling more wheat. This pic is a gravity wagon of wheat, probably 60 bushels left, Already taken out about 40 bushels.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another pic

This is how I load wheat into the grain drill. I use my little teramite backhoe loder for this job. My drill is supposed to hold 39 bushels, so it would take a while if you used a 5 gallon bucket!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
close up shot of the field

Just a close up shot of what the ground looks like after the drill is run over the ground. This shows how little the ground is damaged versus conventional tillage.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drill close-up

A shot of the side of the drill. This shows the coulters which cut the trench, the openers which open a slot to drop the seed and the press wheels that press the dirt back over the seed. The tube you see is what the seed drops through.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The final shot of the day

Because I took so many pictures, I had to finish after dark. But that's OK, I enjoy sharing my work with you guys. I need more lights if I do much of this kind of work though.

Jay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Thanks for showing us.

I think I speek for at least a few, that always see a peice of equpment out in a feild, and have no idea what it is, or how it works.

Any farmers out there want to show us how the rest of that stuff works???

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well I must say that you never disappoint! Thanks so much for the education and interesting commentary. Can you tell me again how many acres of wheat you plant? Who do you sell the wheat product too? Is this a profitable crop for you? Hold that seat on the tractor for me for next year. I want to do some real "farming" ---- :D Thanks --- keep the pics coming!!!!!!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
selling the crop

Andy,

I only planted about 40 acres of wheat this year. I just overseeded my bermuda fields. I will cut it for hay in the spring, hopefully about the first of May. The wheat serves several purposes for me. It is a cover crop in the winter to help keep any erosion to a minimum. It also helps crowd out a great deal of the undesirable winter weeds that hurt my bermuda crop by coming out before the bermuda comes out of dormancy which is usually in mid April. This saves me money on herbicides in the spring and helps save the enviroment by not polluting the area ponds and such. I will cut the wheat for hay about the time the temps get right for prolific bermuda growth. The bermuda then can outgrow the weeds and junk grasses and I can have cleaner and higher quality hay for the horse market. I hope for about 2 or 3 rolls of wheat hay per acre at $20 a roll. This can make for a total of $1600 to $2400 for the wheat hay. Or if I choose, I can have it combined and sell the wheat and then bale the straw. This would make me more money, but would be alot more work. If I could get just 20 bushels of wheat per acre at $3.60 a bushel "which is the going price now" and then get a couple thousand bales of straw, I could potentially make 2 times what I could by rolling the wheat for hay and selling the rolls to beef farmers and or dairy farmers for dry lot cow hay.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts