Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a fellow that came by the house today to inquire on hunting on my property. He remarked he had been to a pheasant hunt on Saturday. I said in Alabama? He replied yep, they have em every other saturday and sunday in Autauga county at a hunting preserve. I said I raised and released hundreds of ringnecks around my place over the eyars and the only thing I saw of them was tail feathers on the day they were released........never seen one sign of them after........

He said, ok they have that problem all taken care of........What they do to have a ringneck hunt here is they have a large field planted in corn, and they use a ATV to pull a trailer down between rows of corn and release pheasants ahead of the hunters. The hunters have their dogs and then they flush out these just released pheasants and the hunters get to shoot at them.......I don;lt hink I would wanna be the dude driving the ATV or releaseing them on the ATV's trailer. They know how many they release and thats just how many they usually shoot as well.
He said its pretty safe as only when the pheasant clears the corn is when they get shot at..........

I did not quite grasp if the ATV and pheasants were just staying ahead of the hunters or did they release them by way of ATV and then get out of the area. The later is what I would hope, but with all the rednecks we have here I would not doubt they ride just in front of the hunters releasing the birds...

I bet the birds that do not get shot, hit the ground running and never stop until they get to Tennessee or Georgia.........Ringnecks just do not like Alabama for some reason or other, be it in north or south or east or west , if its Alabama, they just pass on through!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
sounds real challenging... why dont they just go to a zoo and shoot the birds in the bird cages?

They let them go in a corn field and let the brave hunters have at it?

sorry is my anti hunting bias showing?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
SJ,
I consider my self to be a hunter and a sportsman, and the idea of shooting birds as they are released out of a cage 3 minutes ahead of me as they fly above the corn isn't my idea of "hunting" either. I wouldn't call what you feel an antihunting bias, more like a revulsion against controlled slaughter that is being packaged as authentic hunting. I realize that some folks like hunting this way, and I don't want to shut them down, but it isn't for me. If I needed a pheasant that bad, I'd go to someone that raises them and just buy a couple to take home and cook, and do away with the pretense that I hunted them by shooting them as they fell out of their cages.

·
Registered
518 Posts
that type of hunting is wat i call money hunting they do that downstae here to with ducks let them fly out overpond from towers n guys shoot them this at the places that charge 1000buks for few hours of shooting like that

i am a hunter and that is not hunting too me hunting is spending time outdoors in the cold waitin for deer to come by your stand or in a blind waitin on ducks n geese to fly over just spending time outside and enjoying the bountiful harvest of your hunt and passing that down too younger folks that is hunting

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah. like these idiots around here that put out corn all year,. then shoot a deer,( and claim to be "Outdoorsmen" thats like shooting your kitty at feeding time... ....... any fat headed moron can do that;)

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
how do you guys feel about bow hunting?
i like the concept of hunting.. old on a cold fall day in the woods...
im just not keen on shooting a deer.

bow hunting looks challenging.... you guys do it?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Archery is great sport. I used to hunt with a rifle, and after a few years it became no challenge. Hell prop up a 7mm Mag rifle w/4 x 12 power scope in a tree stand and shooting a deer way on out there just is not a challenge. So I switched to my old 35 rem pump and my 32 winchester special, had to restrict shots to deer I could get closer to me, but it still was not a challenge. I then started using a handgun......Python .357 Mag, and a S & W model 29 all w/8 inch barrels and later a 44 mag Ruger and also a S & W 44 mag. It too became no challenge after awhile, so I picked up the bow and went that route for awhile.......Personally I do not have anything against hunting..........but I am not fond of Venison........Beef and pork is just to cheap and good, no matter how you prepare venison. I am not into trophy hunting either, so being neither trophy or meat humnter I have about given up hunting all together with guns or archery.

I dopop a deer on occasion in the yard, but I certainly am not oging out looking and waiting for them anymore, but if the opportunity presents itself at the house I'll drop one and dress it out, package it, and it all gets fed to the dogs as a treat.......

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
When I was a Lad

A bunch of "Hunters" , and I use that term loosely started what was called a game preserve in the area of our family farm. What they did was go to the farmers and pay to hunt released pheasants on their land. One day when I was about 10 or so I see this truck parked along side the road in front of our pasture and the guy is releasing birds by what seemed to me at the time the hundreds. While the guy was closing up his truck, I asked him what was going on and he told me that he was releasing birds for the Shadagee game preserve. Then I explained to him that he missed by about a mile and ahalf. He said that's Okay they will find their way there.
We fed those birds all winter and they were like chickens, they hung where they were getting fed. When mom wanted to prepare pheasant for dinner one of us would open the window of the back shed, watch the feeder, and drop a nice plump bird with a single shot .22. That club lasted about 10 years it seemed and we always had pheasants around to eat, but I sure would not call it hunting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I really offended a guy once when I told him what he did wasn't hunting. He went on one of those controlled massacres where they take you on a guided tour of a fenced in ranch and let you shoot at something which was basically pre positioned in a field somewhere. I failed to see the challenge there.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
More like target practice than hunting. One group of guys around here did what they called "jungle hunting". They sat 2 guys on a road, and the other 20 or so beat the bushes in a line chasing all the deer onto the road. The 2 on the road dropped evey thing that moved!:rolleyes: We didn't see a deer for almost 20 years after that!:mad: We see a few now, but tey are REALLY nervous!! Wonder why??:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
If I had any skill with a bow, I'd try it, but I'm such a poor shot with one that I don't belong out in the woods using one. I've had 2 different fellas try to teach me and both gave up. I'm an excellent shot with a handgun or rifle, and an average shot with a shotgun. but I'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn with an arrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts