Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Peter Gammons

Here's another good one. I really respect Gammons and like his opinion. He has a very strong opinion of Rose...given recent events.

I don't think he is going to make it to the Hall.:naah:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I still disagree. Rose was a great hitter and that is what should be judged in the Hall of Fame. Do I agree that what he did as a coach was wrong, sure. But as a player, it has never been a question that he was the greatest hitter to play the game. He hustled like no other. For that, he deserves the hall.

I do think that he is going about it the wrong way though. I guess 14 months ago, he admitted that he gambled on baseball to the commissioner and the commissioner's office has done nothing. Can't blame the guy too much as everyone wanted him to come clean and he did. I think he is bringing it to the court of public opinion now to distract from the selection of Eck and Molitor is stupid on his part. Wait a few more weeks then grant the interview. Never mind pushing your book.

But no doubt, if this had gotten swept up and taken care of when it happened, he would be a first ballot HOFer.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think

Ok. We all have differnet opinions of this. Should he or shouldn't he make the Hall?

Question: In your opinion, do you think he will make it???

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Eventually, yes. I don't think the writers will let him get voted in, but it would be close. I think the veterans committee would get him in first ballot.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really???

Do you really think the veteran committee will. It sounds like they will be the tough ones.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It shouldn't be a question if he should or shouldn't make the hall. He was the most hits of all time as a player. So what he was a crappy coach and person. Ty Cobb was a crappy person too. So was Babe Ruth. He gambled, drank and was a womanizer.

He should be in, no matter what he did. As a player, no one played harder.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree

I agree with most of your reasons. I don't think anyone is saying he's a crappy person like others you listed though. As a manager, he did something that hurts the integrity of the game. He bet on baseball, including his team. That's the issue.

I think he should be in there as a player, I'm not sure if the other issues should be ignored though.

Given all this, I don't think he will make it though, regardless if he deserves it or not. I just can't see him getting voted in.

I think the more he pushes his book and campaigns to get back in, the longer his shot will be to get in.

Aint gonna happen. No way!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think that by not having him in the hall really hurts the legitimacy of what the hall stands for. Remember that yyou can go in the hall as a player or a manager. How can it be a Hall of Fame without him? Arguably the best player to hit a baseball ever? Yet you let guys like Molitor and Gary Carter in, both of whom had great careers, but no where near Pete Rose's.

I do think he is a dirt bag for betting on his own team and he should never be allowed to be associated with baseball operations. That being said, he should be honored for being the player that he was, not the manager/coach/gambler that he became, after he was a player.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's a thought

Any care to wager that he doesn't get in?? I bet Pete would take the bet.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
We are Dealing with

A bunch of grown men.How are they going to come to a consensis in time? The clock is ticking,I think Pete made his move too late.I also think it is about money with Pete.He sees a winfall if they put him in the hall.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i still say let him in.. but he is not being truthful even now... saying he did not bet from his clubhouse.. when you know he did...

He's making the curcuit now on TV and radio... Im not sure what he has to say means much as its still not completly truthful..

·
674 Posts
I have been following the story on talk radio and the paper (front page stuff) here in Cincinnati. Pete seems to be losing some ground here in his home town because he has turned his admission of guilt into a money making book deal. Yet still, is not telling the whole story.

His stronghold appears to be best on the west side of town where he grew up. He was at a book signing there yesterday.

On 48 hours last night he said that he wanted to manage in base ball again.... And rumor has it that Carl Linder (owner of the Reds) likes Pete.

It will be a sad day for me as a fan if Pete makes it back into the reds organization

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting

I know it won't happen, but think of what kind of publicity MLB would get if Rose was to manage again. That would be huge news.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts