Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Pete Rose.. one of the best baseball guys of the past (or my past at least) and he gets the shaft...

It seems all he wants is to be inducted to the hall of fame.

Let him in already.. if we judged all athletes on morals there would be a lot less guys in any halls of fame.
the guy was a great basaeball icon, player and coach. Let him in the hall of fame.. please

sj

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would say stick to your guns, but there are plenty of others with bigger problems already in. :ditto: I don;t know what is worse gambling on the game or drugs??????:grapevine

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I think he has some moral issues. And I think he needed to be penalized in some form or fashion for those infractions. I do not see how his betting would have helped his status for the hall of fame. All in all, he earned it and should had been been inducted.

The way I look at it is like this. Let's say you promise to reward your kid with a movie, $$ or something for getting good grades. Your kid gets the good grade and two day later, but before the reward, does something bad... breaks a vase, a window or something like that. Now, do you hold back the reward for good grades because of the violation. I think you reward them for the good grades and do some form of punishment for the "other" issue.

·
674 Posts
I am from greater cincinnati area and am a reds fan. I go to about 5 games a year... There are a lot of die-hard Pete Rose fans in cincy, but I am not one of them. If they want to put him in the hall of fame that is fine. BUT PLEASE do not let him manage the cincinnati reds!
We need new faces in the reds org.

Mr. Rose: you can bet on that!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Ah What the Heck

So what that athletes are role models for our children.All Pete did was bet a few bucks on baseball or any thing else thay he could get odds on.Are people going to remember him as"Charlie Hustle" or for hustling the public with his sympathy campaign.
It is not fair that he is not in the hall for several reasons.
  • Gambling is a sickness
  • Gee he did not hurt anyone but himself
  • Gosh a bunch of guys have done a lot worse and got in,they didn't get caught
  • Where does it say anything about moral fiber?
  • He was a great player and it is the game that counts.
  • The kids won't notice, after all he played a long time ago.
  • And the #1 reason why it is unfair that it is unfair that Pete is not in the hall "OJ" made it

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didnt Michael jordan gamble big money on golf games? that did not stop him,

coby bryant?

Mike Tyson? convicted rapist and ear biter and all around idiot

Charles barkley threw a guy through a window (but i sort of like him for that)

Kevin Stevens; a good/great hockey player that got messed up with crack

derick sanderson, great hockey player - i think the 1st one to get a million $$ in hockey - world hockey but at one point.. a down right drunk (recovered now)

how many football players are in trouble with the law?

and lest we froget denis rodman; He did not do anything too bad, but really who would you rather have as a kids role model Pete or denis?

sports guys are just that nowadays... not role models, just sports guys.. great at what they do on the field or ice or wood.. but most in life are no better than us.. many are worse..

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Let him in the hall!! He was the best hitter ever!! He was the worst coach ever!! Shouldn't have any bearing on his hall eligibility in my opinion. If thats the case, I'm sure Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and some of the other "questionable" charecters wouldn't be in the hall.

Just let him in and let him fade away.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Ohh

I didn't know that rules were meant to be bent. Is that how good referees and umpires officiate games????

Now, if you said rules can be changed....I'd buy that.

Let him in, change the rules.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Well yesterday he finally admited he bet on baseball in a interview. This is what I have been waiting for all the years he denied betting after proven he did bet. This is the admission I have been wanting him to admit to. I feel now that he has admitted and starts to do assistance to a gambling or addiction group that In a short time he should be allowed to ONLY to admitted to the Hall of Fame. He should not be allowed to have any other ties to baseball for a further 3-5 years. These are just my thoughts...:naah:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
They don't call him "Charlie Hustle" for nothing

Give Me a break. Pete Rose only admitted to gambling on Baseball because, the window to get into the Hall of Fame is closing.The next question? Did he do anything to effect the outcome of a game?A.K.A. put the fix in.
I can't see the future but I will give Vagas odds that next for Mr. Rose is the talk show curcuit,to pass around a little more of the snow job.
Pete was a great ballplayer,but he stinks as a manager.In fact almost as bad a manager as he was a gambler.Not for nothing if he aint in by 2006 he aint getting in.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still gambler or not.. he's still better than the steriod pumping whiney overpaid bunch of sissys we have playing the game nowadays...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Agree

Slipshod hit the nail on the head. Clock was a tickin'. He still doesn't even think it was wrong to bet on his team.

Have a financial gain for your team winning is going to cloud decision making. He won't care for the good of the team, just immediate pay back.

·
Registered
674 Posts
He only said what i knew all along. There is no way he never bet on baseball or the Reds, although i don't think he ever bet the team to lose. I agree that he is only doing it because of getting into the hall of fame. The problem is ...should Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth be kicked out of the hall of fame? Why should they be treated any different than Pete? There seems to be two standards here.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
From what I heard, he was in effect betting on his team to lose when he wouldn't bet on the games. I guess he would bet when his team was a sure thing, and not when they were questionable.

Doesn't matter to me. He was a great player and he shouldn't be crucified for being a gambling coach in my opinion. Only thing that could cause issues is that if he is re-instated, there will be a big push to get Shoeless Joe in also.

Think of some of the folks in our Hall of Fames. Lyle Alzado, OJ Simpson, LT, Babe Ruth, etc. All were less than stellar members of society, but all are in the Halls.

I am sure others gambled as well, I guess he was the only one stupid enough to get caught.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
Think of some of the folks in our Hall of Fames. Lyle Alzado, OJ Simpson, LT, Babe Ruth, etc. All were less than stellar members of society, but all are in the Halls.

That says a lot. We hold some of these people to a higher standard than we hold ourselves up to. Is that right? I think not. Let's put him in the hall of fame based on his ballplaying ability, not what he did out of the ball park.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts