Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my pet peeves is a newscaster / journalist. They seem to be able to ramble on and and never say anything (like a lot of my posts) or interject words to jazz up their piece that are totally out of line with the overall piece. Some reporters are pretty darn ignorant of the topics they are covering, and if it was not for some of them being pretty they never would make it as a reporter or journalist.

I like seeing screwups broadcast on TV as well and see how some weasel around it.......today they showed a grapics diagram of Frances..........and showed it gusting to CAT 5 "weedspeeds" and currently it was "traveling at 145 miles per hour" with winds in excess of "40" mph.......Now thats some storm.......

And the terrorists in Russian territories...........One reporter stated they have "automatic ammunition fire" coming from the school.
I know the Russians have lots of secret stuff, and evidently automatic ammunition is one of them..........Do you suppose if I had some automatic ammunition it would turn my semi auto AK into full auto? :furious:

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
I was quite amazed to hear that American Kim Rhode won the womens double trapshooting competition with a rifle as reported on my news channel during the Olympics. She must be one HECK of a shot to win with a rifle when everyone else is using a shotgun.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I remember shep smith from fox news.. he was trying to say 'according to folks.. shes not jenny from the block..
and accidentally said jenny from the blow job..

wonder what he thinks of J-LO.. :furious:

Heres a linkjenny from the blow job

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
Some of the mistakes the reporters on live TV make, I can overlook. It has to be hard to get everything right the first time live and with the pressure I’m sure that must be on them. Why, even I have to make a correction or two when penning a post for this board, before my effort reaches the point of perfection. ;) Getting your adjectives associated with the correct nouns on live TV, I expect can be a problem.

Now, newspapers are a little different animal. These people have the opportunity to take a few minutes to look over their work and correct at least a few of the more blaring errors before presenting it to the public. Even our little small time local rag has spell check, editors, and poof readers. But, they also seem have trouble getting it right and can come up with some real lou lous that even dummies like me have no trouble catching.

I’ll give an example.

Our local news paper came out with a news story about a local routine traffic accident on our local interstate. The usual facts were reported, time of day, number of vehicles involved, injures, and etc. Just normal routine things for a traffic accident even the direction of travel of the vehicles involved. This is where this little tidbit comes up, one of the vehicles was “north bound”. Now, is this a blaring mistake that a local reporter/editor should have caught on the first brief scan for mistakes; or was there something about this accident that wasn’t reported? You see, our local Interstate runs east and west!

Sometimes, I wonder if the mistakes are made in an effort to report news while leaving out something that would either, get the reporter in hot water with the powers that be, or with the legal beagles.

I’m sure, some of the errors are due to the reporters being human and, therefore, like us all, prone to make errors. But, one has to wonder if the quality of the material produced by our media today isn’t suffering due to the “dumbing” down of our schools and the increase in the number of lawyers they are producing.

:cpu:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Talking about Pet Peeves I was in WalMart last night and the garden center was all decked out loaded to the gills with Christmas stuff. Whats up with that its Sept 1st for gods sake. They had one isle of Halloween stuff and the garden center loaded with Christmas. Next year i guess they will have it out at the beginning of Aug.:tellyou:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by John-in-Ga

I’ll give an example.

Our local news paper came out with a news story about a local routine traffic accident on our local interstate. The usual facts were reported, time of day, number of vehicles involved, injures, and etc. Just normal routine things for a traffic accident even the direction of travel of the vehicles involved. This is where this little tidbit comes up, one of the vehicles was “north bound”. Now, is this a blaring mistake that a local reporter/editor should have caught on the first brief scan for mistakes; or was there something about this accident that wasn’t reported? You see, our local Interstate runs east and west!

A north bound vehicle could surely cause an accident on an east and west highway!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by John-in-Ga
Now, newspapers are a little different animal. Even our little small time local rag has spell check, editors, and poof readers.

POOF Readers are a little different animal, too!

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
Ok, Fellows I finally see it. My poof reader missed another one of my goofs. Sorry about that. :what101:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
Talking about Pet Peeves I was in WalMart last night and the garden center was all decked out loaded to the gills with Christmas stuff. Whats up with that its Sept 1st for gods sake. They had one isle of Halloween stuff and the garden center loaded with Christmas. Next year i guess they will have it out at the beginning of Aug.:tellyou:
jody mine too.. they are fiulling up with Xmas crap.. Way too early..:merry: :merry: ho ho ho.. My Ass!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk about being in a time warp

They just announced on TV the latest on "Hurricane HUGO"....duh! And to beat all, the idiot did not just mention HUGO one time he must have mentioned it 20 times throughout his broadcast and not he nor his cameraman or other associated news crew even realized they said HUGO instead of Frances.....and they were broadcasting live from the W.Palm Beach area..............so has Frances already been here and gone, and now we have a new cane on the way named Hugo?:furious:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Pet peeves, Grandpa Jones driving 45 MPH in the left lane of the freeway, on a stretch of 70 MPH area and then giving the raised middle finger to everyone passing him on the right. That happened tonight on my commute home from work.cruisin cruisin :confused:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
My pet peeve is when im in the left lane going 75 in a 70 and some idiot blows past me on the right running 85 as im about to put my signal on and get over.He pised that I do not cut the guy off so he can get around me.Ussually some guy in a Yukon for some odd reason.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I was in walmart today (in the store not the garden section) and they had all their fake trees set up...

All done up with fake snow tinsel and bulbs ect..

I saw the coolest decoration.. they had a chipmunk that sort of scurried around the base of the tree and stopped short.

Man i was impressed.. it was so realistic.. i had to stare at the thing for a minute or two.. It looks so real it looked like it was staring right back at me... i wanted to get one for our tree.. it was soooooo realistic...

Well.. i went up to the tree to see how much it costed.. (it was up on the top shelf on the end of an isle)

Then the damned thing then climbed up the tree hopped to the floor and ran down the isle to the dog food section... Yeah.. it was a real chipmunk living in the store...

I knew it was too good to be true.. i would have bought one in a flash... but no need i could just let one in my house if i wanted one that realistic...

:furious: :furious:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Speaking about Wal-Mart....the one here in my town has a lane in the front of the store marked FIRE LANE in BIG yellow letters. If that ain't plain enough for ya they also have a big sign with bright red letters saying" No Parking Fire Lane". It seems like every time I go there is somebody parked in front of the sign. I suppose they are waiting for someone but I feel certain that there is someplace else that they can park. Yesterday I reached the point to where I just had to open my big mouth and say something. There was a woman sitting in her suburban with the engine running parked right in front of the no parking sign. I just walked by and stopped and started looking at her. After a few seconds she asked me if I needed anything. I said " I was just wondering if you were having trouble reading that sign in front of your car." She suddenly lost the friendly expression she had and rolled up her window and started mouthing something to her kids. I'm sure she was calling me all sorts of fine things but I figured that I had made my point so I walked away smiling. Do you folks think I was wrong to say anything?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
not wrong to say it but i bet you suprised her...im sure she was saying 'Lock the doors kids' there a crazy man out there!!!

so can i venture a guess? was she under or over 225 lbs?? I bet over...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts