Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home PC is experiencing problems, mainly it seems to be internet problems.

First, my hard drive crashed. So I put in a new hard drive, but since the PC was "bundled" with all software no operating systems disk was availabe. My wife's nephew so then loaded a version of Windows 2000 NT. I, in the meantime, ordered from the manufacturer a set of recovery disks for this particular "bundled" PC. I then loaded this onto the computer. Everything seems to be working fine. I then tried to load my old ISP onto the computer, and of course, the BlasterWorm virus showed up. I guess the "bundled" package did not include the patch for this. I then loaded the patch and haven't encountered this problem again, but other problems began to happen.

First, everytime I logged onto the internet, my homepage was overtaken by other websites, one which comes to mind is www.justanydomain.com though there are others. One even downloads an icon onto my desktop. These aren't pop-ups, but my browser seems to be rerouted to these annoying pages. Second, my service seems to be painfully slow, it literally takes several minutes to access most pages. I even tried other ISPs, and they seem to worked great for a day or two, then the same problems reoccur. Thirdly, I constantly get messages saying the application I'm using is closing down, and I must either click "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send". I view the details of one of these error reports and noticed that it refers to a Windows NT build, even though I'm using the Windows XP operating system. Could some of the NT system that my wife's nephew loaded still be there, even though I reformatted the hard drive and loaded the recovery disks?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated? I tried AOL and can recieved McAfee Virus software through them, but will this eliminate the problems I'm having.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
As SJ mentioned, download the Spybot S&D 1.3 and also download Adaware 6.0 and then download all the updates. Sounds to me like spyware is killing your computer. Between these two, they pretty much compliment each other and what one misses the other gets.

Adaware

Also download a good firewall. I like Zone Alarm Pro or even the free version.

Zone Alarm Pro

Zone Alarm free version

Lastly, if you don't already, get a good anti-virus program and install it and update it DAILY. I use and have had good results with AVG 7.0 anti-virus and it updates itself daily.

AVG antivirus

They also make a free version.

AVG free version

The AVG is cheaper as it gives you a 2 year license for about $33. In my opinion Norton sucks and I will NEVER use there stuff again.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. You've confirmed what I was starting to realized about the spyware. It's just ironic that all of this started happening after my hard drive crashed and I loaded the recovery disks from HP.

But, is the application errors that I'm receiving related to the spyware or the temporary install of the Windows 2000 NT version that my wife's nephew loaded. Like I said, I loaded the recovery disks which has a process of reformating the hard drive, but I wonder if there is a residual effect from the temporary install of the NT version. These application errrors shut down the application I'm in, i.e. like AOL's spyware detection and protection program. Should I reformat and reload the recovery disks again? Or should I try and go from here with the downloads, if I can, the spyware protection and the anti-virus programs? Remember my PC internet is now running eratically and very slowly.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, guys.

Can you run the above programs mentioned by Simple John and Chief, the SpyBot, the Adaware, etc. with the XP Service Pack 2???

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by treed
Okay, guys.

Can you run the above programs mentioned by Simple John and Chief, the SpyBot, the Adaware, etc. with the XP Service Pack 2???
yes treed I do... and im on SP_ 2

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that's encouraging. I just wish I had the time at home to "fixed" my computer. The last several evenings I've been working outside on my daughter's car and my Blazer. By the time I get in, and get on the computer to try and download these it's too late. And with the problems I'm having it's virtually impossible to download these programs from the 'net. I might try using the recovery disks, reformating the hard drive again, and then downloading the SP2 and then the other programs to see if that solves all my problems. The problem of course is my recovery disks does not address the BlasterWorm virus that was making its rounds a year or so ago. So hopefully I can stay on the 'net long enough to download SP2.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
sp2 is a huge file are you using dialup? if you are you should just request windows to send you out the CD i think they are doing that for free if nopt maybe you can find someone with cable/dsl and have them download it for you..

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, I have dial-up. The only way I can get high-speed internet in my area is through DirectTV, for a sizeable fortune. I took your advice, though, and order the CD, unfortunately Microsoft states to allow 4-6 weeks delivery. So, I might as well try the download anyway.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SJ,
I got the CD you sent. Thanks. I need to install some updates first, but will install SP2 then.

Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on the home PC. I reformatted the hard drive, again, and installed the recovery discs, again. This time, I used a AOL CD to access the internet and then started downloading some of the things you guys mentioned. First the firewall, ZoneAlarms, then AVG anti-virus and then Adaware and Spybot. So far things are looking good. I'm just going to monitor the situation further and see if this is a permanment fix. Even if it is, I still going to get an Apple eMac and give the PC to my daughter to use. Hopefully my problems have been solved. Question, though, should I download Mozilla also as a precautionary?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Question, though, should I download Mozilla also as a precautionary?
IMO... YES!!!

I won't use IE for anything except to do WindowsUpdate.

Angel

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Update on the home PC. I reformatted the hard drive, again, and installed the recovery discs, again. This time, I used a AOL CD to access the internet and then started downloading some of the things you guys mentioned. First the firewall, ZoneAlarms, then AVG anti-virus and then Adaware and Spybot. So far things are looking good. I'm just going to monitor the situation further and see if this is a permanment fix. Even if it is, I still going to get an Apple eMac and give the PC to my daughter to use. Hopefully my problems have been solved. Question, though, should I download Mozilla also as a precautionary?
Woo-Hoo! That will increase the Mac users here by 25%! :D

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mow,

I went to the Apple Store in Des Peres and I was highly impressed with the eMac they had. The mouse was really, really nice. I like the system alot. Definitely will be bringing home a new eMac by yearsend, if not sooner.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Mow,

I went to the Apple Store in Des Peres and I was highly impressed with the eMac they had. The mouse was really, really nice. I like the system alot. Definitely will be bringing home a new eMac by yearsend, if not sooner.
The eMac is a great machine for the money. The mouse is pretty slick. But if you miss having a 2-button mouse, you can change it out with just about any 3rd party (like Logitech, Kensington, or MicroSoft) mouse.

What you'll really like, I think, is OSX and all the apps that come bundled with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts