Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since nobody seems to own a JD 2210, I'm posting this In CUT HUT. Chief, you make the call if necessary.

I started mowing again with my 2210. One annoyance is the front and side screens around the radiator really suck the debris to them. It was real windy and dry yesterday, and I had to get off the tractor several times to clear the debris off the screens. Today I checked the removable screen inside the hood/cowling assemblies that is in front of the radiator. I was surprised that it was probably 50% covered in grass clippings. What was worse was the radiator itself had a significant accumulation of grass clippings! This (the inside screen accumulation) did not happen when I mowed in last fall.

Fortunately Deere (or Yanmar) makes removing the front and side screen assemblies pretty easy, so I gingerly got the stuff off the radiator and attacked the rest with an air hose. I can't believe
how much debris got past the screens. I mowed again today and frequently removed clippings from the outside screens and checked the removable screen inside. Hardly anything got to the radiator this time. Go figure.

I wish Deere would but an auxiliary fan that blows outward from the engine/radiator. It's annoying having to get off the tractor to brush the clippings off the outside screens. They really suck it in.

I can't believe this tractor has an idiot light instead a temperature gauge. On the other hand it mows great (62"MM). It even stripes pretty good. Mowing primarily pasture land. Handled the tall stuff with no problem.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Can you add a temp gage i would rather have a gage then a idiot light .
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen it discussed on other sites, and I think only one guy had actually tried it. If I see a few testimonials and pics, I will consider it.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Mow, I am not sure reversing the fan would solve anything. My suspision is that it would just suck the debry inside the engine compartment clog things up from the other direction. I watch my temp guage like a hawk and the side screens as well. Mine get clogged frequently so I just bring the engine to idle and blow or bush the debry off. Afterwards for clean up of the tractor; I use compress air to get the bulk of the dust and debry off and then use the hose or pressure washer to spray out the radiator and rest of the tractor. It is a problem for many tractors. The X series JD tractors are particularly vulnerable to this problem and readily over heat. I feel your pain Mow! :thumbsup:

Great post and suggestion for everyone to keep an eye on! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I run through the same problem with my Ingersolls. Mostly when the cottonwoods blom, and all those white fuzzys are in the air. Within 20min plugs up the oil cooler solid.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My Ford 1720 has a screen that is easy to remove mounted in front of the radiator. It just slides in a channel. But while this may not apply to a liquid cooled engine and in line with this forum, air cooled engines require attention as well. I had my GX 335 parked for about a week and a half while the wife and I spent time in Birmingham while she was in the hospital etc and it went unused no more than 10 days. I used it the other day and my friend was visiting. I opened the hood on the GX after I had finished an iinitial cut of some weeds by the end of the driveway (about 5 minutes worth of cutting) etc and my friend noticed what looked like tufts of cotton hanging out of some areas around the cooling shroud. We pulled this fiberous material and pulled and it kept on coming out. These fibers were coming out of al the little nooks and crannies under that cooling shroud. I eventually wound up pulling off the shrouds and it was packed full of shredded paper towels, rags and fiberglass insulation. BArely enough room for just the flywheel to rotate in. Evidently a rodent decided this would make a fine house. He had to work extremely long in hauling all that material up and into the area under the shroud. As full as that thing was packed it would not have taken long to ruin a engine. So you all may want to check your air cooled equipment incase some small critter took up housekeeping in them over the winter.

On my old JD 180 if it was left parked for more than a week or two a critter used to use the muffler as a warehouse to stock pile acorns. It used to sound like a bunch of rocks bouncing aorund when you would initially start it up after setting, and you would see heaps of acorns come flying out the exhaust. ANother favoprite area I find heaps of nesting materials and acorns is in the air cleaner box on my 1720 and the pickup trucks and wifes car. I have already had a critter eat out the center of an air cleaner already on my wifes Camry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts