1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:spinsmile

"THE PASSION" BY MEL GIBSON

Paul Harvey Comments on "The Passion" by Mel Gibson Paul Harvey's words:

I really did not know what to expect. I was thrilled to have been invited to a private viewing of Mel Gibson's film "The Passion," but ____I had also read all the cautious articles and spin. I grew up in a
____Jewish town and owe much of my own faith journey to the influence. I have
a life long, deeply held aversion to anything that might even indirectly encourage any form of
anti-Semitic thought,
language or actions.
I arrived at the private viewing for "The Passion," held in Washington,DC and greeted some familiar faces. The environment was typically Washingtonian, with people greeting you with a smile but seeming
to look beyond you, having an agenda beyond the words. The film was very briefly introduced, without fanfare, and then the room darkened. From the
gripping opening scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, to the very human and tender portrayal of the earthly ministry of Jesus, through the betrayal, the arrest, the scourging, the way of the cross, the encounter with the thieves, the surrender on the
Cross, until the final
scene in the empty tomb, this was not simply a movie; it was an encounter,
unlike anything I have ever experienced. In addition to being a masterpiece of film-making
and an artistic
triumph, "The Passion" evoked more deep reflection, sorrow and emotional reaction within me than anything since
my wedding, my
ordination or the birth of my children. Frankly, I will never be the same.
When the film concluded, this "invitation only" gathering of "movers and shakers" in Washington, DC were
shaking indeed, but this
time from sobbing. I am not sure there was a dry eye in the place. The crowd that had been glad-handing before the film was now eerily silent. No
one could speak because words were woefully inadequate. We had experienced a kind of art that is a rarity in life, the kind that makes heaven touch earth.
One scene in the film has now been forever etched in my mind. A brutalized, wounded Jesus was soon to fall again under the weight of the cross. His mother had made her way along the Via Della Rosa. As she ran to
him, she flashed back to a memory of Jesus as a child, falling in the dirt road outside of their home. Just as she ____reached to protect him from the fall, she was now reaching to touch his
wounded adult face. Jesus looked at her with intensely probing and passionately loving eyes (and at all of us through the screen) and said "Behold I make all things new." These are words taken from the last Book of
the New Testament, the Book of Revelations. Suddenly, the purpose of the pain was so clear
____and the wounds, that earlier in the film had been so difficult to see in
His face, His back, indeed all over His body, became intensely beautiful.They had been borne voluntarily for love. At the end of the film, after we had all had a
chance to recover, a
question and answer period ensued. The unanimous praise for the film, from
a rather diverse crowd, was as astounding as the compliments were effusive.
The questions included the one
____question that seems to follow this film, even though it has not yet even
been released. "Why is this film considered by some to be 'anti-Semitic?"
Frankly, having now experienced (you do not "view" this film) "the Passion"
it is a question that is impossible to answer. A law professor whom I admire sat in front of me. He raised his hand and responded "After watching
this film, I do not understand how anyone can insinuate that it even remotely presents that the Jews killed Jesus. It doesn't." He continued "It
made me realize that my sins killed Jesus" I agree. There is not a scintilla
____of anti-Semitism to be found anywhere in this powerful film. If there
were, I would be among the first to decry it. It faithfully tells the Gospel story in a dramatically beautiful, sensitive and profoundly engaging way. Those who are alleging otherwise have either not seen the film or have another agenda
behind their
____protestations. This is not a "Christian" film, in the sense that it will
____appeal only to those who identify themselves as followers of Jesus
Christ. It is a deeply human,beautiful story that will deeply touch all men
and women. It is a profound work of art. Yes, its producer is a Catholic Christian and thankfully has remained faithful to the Gospel text; if that
is no longer acceptable behavior than we are all in trouble. History demands that we remain faithful to the story and Christians have a right to
tell it. After all, we believe that it is the greatest story ever told and
that its message is for all men and women. The greatest right is the right
to hear the truth.
We would all be well advised to remember that the Gospel narratives to which "The Passion" is so faithful were written by Jewish men who followed
a Jewish Rabbi whose life and
____teaching have forever changed the history of the world. The problem is
not the message but those who have distorted it and used it for hate rather than love. The solution is not to censor the message, but rather to promote
the kind of gift of love that is Mel Gibson's film making masterpiece, "The
Passion." It should be seen by as many people as possible. I intend to do
everything I
____can to make sure that is the case. I am passionate about "The Passion."
Please copy this and send it on to all your friends to let them know about this film so that all go see it when it comes out. P.S. From Julie: My daughter, Kristin, tells me they learned at her church Youth Group that Mel Gilbson stated he did not appear in his own movie, by his choice, with one exception: It is Gibson's hands seen nailing Jesus to the cross. Gibson said he wanted to do that because it was indeed his own hands that nailed Jesus to the cross (along with all of ours.)
:)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I saw Mel Gibsons interview the other night. All I can say is I was impressed. He really did his homework and I will have to go and see the movie when it comes out. I hope people will take it for what it is, something to learn from. It sounds like it was meant to get people interested and nudge them to learn more. I hope it works and people are not closed minded. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i agree Stewart. He really did well in his interview...
He was very passionate in what he beleived and stated his case well..

I dont know if im gonna run out to see it.. just because it is subtitled and will make it to hbo eventually...
but with all of the negative hype.. i hope it does well.. it says something if a guy forks up his own money for what he believes in... Sort of like John F Kerry hawking his wifes paintings to raise money, yeah right...
but i hope mels film does good.. i loved his line about jack nicholsen...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not Paul Harvey

I am also looking forward to seeing "The Passion of the Christ" having been following it for the past year or so. I have even purchased additional reading material that goes along with the movie including the "Dolorous Passion" that partly inspired Mel to do the movie. I am especially excited that it is premiering on Ash Wednesday. A great way for our family to being the Lenten season.

I must not that the above comments DID NOT come from Paul Harvey. Unfortunately another urban legend. See below.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_paul_harvey_passion.htm

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I forgot about that as well, it is a shame that things like that get sent out with someone elses name. I liked the part of the interview when Diane asked if he would do lethal weapon type movies again. He said he didn't think so he was past that. Or something like that. The point I got out of it was he has grown up and realized he didn't want to live his life like that anymore.

I think a movie like this is best viewed on the big screen with the surround sound. I do have a big screen at home but it is not the same. Good luck and god bless Mel!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I must also admit that while I am looking forward to the Passion, I still like to watch the Lethal Weapon and the Mad Max movies as well!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I guess maybe that is why we need to see the movie. I liked all the lethal weapons except for the last one I never saw it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They did give it an R rating due to the violence. Mel said he did it that way because that is they way it happened. It might be a little old for our 6 year old. We will have to see.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cry:
I got hornswaggled.

Quote:, I must not that the above comments DID NOT come from Paul Harvey. Unfortunately another urban legend.

Sorry about the statement that it came from Paul Harvey. I just transfered it here from an e-mail that I got as it was sent to me. :tabletalk Rumor

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I went to see "The Passion of the Christ " tonight. It is an intense movie. My stress level went through the roof about 5 minutes into the movie. My review:

The movie is NOT anti-semitic.
It is violent. My wife and I disagreed on the level of violence. I didn't see the scourging so much as violent but I got angry and emotional. It was hard to watch in the same sense as it would be watching your child or wife beaten. Emotionally, it is disturbing. Very stressful.
Some of the scenes with Satan and the special effects are chilling. It is well written and cinematically well filmed.
I made the mistake of planning to go out to dinner after the movie. Needless to say, we weren't hungry. We went straight home. I would recommend it and I would like to see it again. John

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Thanks for the review will go and see it it two weeks they are sold out till then.:thumbsup:
Jody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts