Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Retired
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i have 3 donkeys on about 2 acres..I want to rejuvanate the pasture by seeding.

What type of seed do i use?? Do i use a rye grass? What would be best for the donkeys?

I want to do this by scratching the top and broadcasting the seed, i donot want to plow up the entire pasture.

Any help woud be great..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ken the rye grass will a die out by June, rye grass can't handle the Texas heat. You want to plant rye in Oct. - Nov. it wall stay green throughout the winter.
Buffalo grass or Cibelo grass would be you best bet, but you don't want to broadcast it this time of year due to the bird migration from Mexico to the north. It is very expensive seeds $25.00 for a 10 lbs. and very very expensive bird food this time of year.

Here is a resource for good pasture grasses:

http://www.seedland.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=farmseed

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ken N Tx
Okay, i have 3 donkeys on about 2 acres..I want to rejuvanate the pasture by seeding.

What type of seed do i use?? Do i use a rye grass? What would be best for the donkeys?

I want to do this by scratching the top and broadcasting the seed, i donot want to plow up the entire pasture.

Any help woud be great..
Not knowing what you have growing now, I would be inclined to say disking would be a good route to get the soil prepared for seed. Then I would contact your local extension agency or talk to some local farmers and find out what grows best in your area and why...What is your native grass?? sometimes that's the best one to cultivate. Keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts