Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably no big deal, but I was wondering if all of you dropped the deck down to rest on the floor, or if you pull the deck up to the highest setting to maybe get it in the shed, then leave it that way?

I was thinking with the cable type system of the Cub 1000 and 1500 series, letting it rest on the floor might be the best idea, but the manual mentions nothing of it. All it says is that the guage wheels are not designed to support the weight of the deck. Thats obviously while underway, as with the deck resting on the floor, it would be about the same as if the deck was off the tractor, sitting on the floor.

Just curious as to what you guys do, especially 1000 and 1500 series owners?

Thanks,
Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I keep mine in the #4 position all the time i have only let it down twice in a year. Once to sharpen the blades and just a couple of weeks ago to put my gators on. Everything seems fine.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I always let it down. Why? got me.

Cable? Well cables DO streach. Will it streach enough to cause harm? Got me,I don;t know how the setup works.

Now for the guage wheel issue. Can't suport the weight of the mower deck???:confused: :confused: ??? Then what are they there for? Eaven with a floting deck, the wheels are there so if you hit a rough spot, they let the deck roll up and over it. So it can hit a rise, lift the mower deck, roll back down the rise,all at what 5-7mph, but cant support the dead weight of the deck?????

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i do the same as argee.. i guess i dont think af it...

But i ALWAYS lower it when i have the snow thrower on.. that seems like its too much stress or weight on the front end leaving it up for weeks/days at a time

unfortunatly it usually then freezes to the floor.. so i have to back up to break the frozen blower to floor bond prior to raising it - i dont think the hydraulic lift is strong enough to break the freze

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When in the shed, I lower the deck and let it rest on the floor. On those rare occasions when it spends the night outside, I raise the deck to lessen the effects of moisture (dew)

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
But i ALWAYS lower it when i have the snow thrower on.. that seems like its too much stress or weight on the front end leaving it up for weeks/days at a time
John...You leave your mower deck on all winter??

I always lower the blower in the winter to take the weight off the fron axle and tires.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...Just thought it would be interesting to hear a few opinions. I never thought about it much before now either. I have left it up and let it rest on the floor, and couldn't decide which would be best.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Don't know how yours works, but I would have to crank the height knob down to get the wheels to touch the ground to remove the weight from the linkage. Mine uses steel link bars to the foot deck lift pedal, so in the long run the height adjuster would probably suffer more wear than the linkage.

Here's another question for you. Parking brake on or off? I lock the brake on to take the tension off the drive belt. But that leaves pressure on the brake assembly. Although if you have shaft drive this might be a moot point?:D

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by memmurphy
Here's another question for you. Parking brake on or off? I lock the brake on to take the tension off the drive belt. But that leaves pressure on the brake assembly. Although if you have shaft drive this might be a moot point?:D

Mark

Or hydrolic drive. Trust me, my Ingersolls are going NOWERE without power to the hydro system.:)

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
John...You leave your mower deck on all winter??

I always lower the blower in the winter to take the weight off the fron axle and tires.
sorry i meant the blower not the deck...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
we leave ours up always no matter what. We have a white I dont remember model but I think its 18 B&S. Its got the notched type linkage. With the big lever lol:D
Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts