Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year in the fall I get busy with my site prep business.It seems that people procrastinate and when the first snowflakes fall or a killing frost hits,my phone rings.For the last four weeks I have been busier then a one armed paperhanger.
My odd work sheduale gives my four days off from my state job,after working two double shifts in a row.Those four days off every six days, in the last month have been filled with jobs for my equipment.This sure has cut into my bowhunting,but the extra money is nice since Christmas is coming. It is my job to make sure that my two grandchildren are properly spoiled,even if my daughter-in-law complains that I spend too much on them.
In the last month I have prepped eleven driveways for concrete,mostly tearouts of old cracked concrete,add stone and grade.I have dug three foundations,dug out ,stoned and graded a large pad area in front of a business.Widened the neighbor's driveway. Hauled construction waste from four different sites. Delivered topsoil to approximately twenty customers.The wind storm of the last couple of days,had me doing downed tree removel from three homes.There is more,but you get the picture.
I told my wife this year I am shutting it down for bow season.She said,"Sure you are."After thirty-five years married I guess she knows me.Not only did it not get shut down, I have been the busiest I can remember for this time of year.
Well monday is the start of shotgun season and I am shutting it down,unless it snows hard.Hey I promised to plow,what can I do?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fringe benefits

One of the fringe benefits of this type of work is the broken concrete makes the nicest farm roads you have ever seen.I have done about a mile and a half of road on my one farm so far.Plus I don't have to lend money to my two boys I just put them to work.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Wow ---- you have been busy. All of that work will keep you young -- at least at heart. ;) ---- I can imagine that it is hard to wave away work and good $ especially in time for the holiday season. See if you can jump over and answer some questions to my latest newbie post about implements and box blades with scarifiers etc. I apologize for being so naive but I figure that the only way to learn is to ask my friends. So here I am --- asking.

I hope that your hunting season is not all wasted picking up soil and snow, but perhaps picking up a deer or two as well! :D Thanks for sharing, slipshod.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts