1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Over running coupler

Discussion in 'Ford 9N/2N/8N' started by 19442N, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 19442N

19442N New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Over running couplers. Are you guys using them and do they stand the test of time? I stood tall on the brake but still took out the trash can.

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    On the old transmission-driven PTO's, an over-running coupler is important to prevent the rotary momentum of the PTO implement from driving the transmission when the clutch is depressed. These are time-proven devices, been in service for many years.

Tractor Beam and pogobill like this.

3. pogobill

pogobill Registered User Staff Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm with sixbales, it's a matter of safety!

willys55 and 19442N like this.
  4. 19442N

19442N New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Thanks men. I'm thinking that since the PTO shaft needs a rebuild I'll just replace it with a conversion shaft and the coupler. Do you guys have to shorten a drive shaft when coupler is installed?

5. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    You may have to shorten the shaft when you install the conversion shaft and coupler. After the installation, check that your shaft still has capability to slide inwards so that you do not impose compressive force on your PTO system in the tractor.

19442N likes this.
  6. RC Wells

RC Wells Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    If you replace your PTO shaft with the new larger version, you will also need to change the yoke on the rotary mower drive shaft to match the larger diameter PTO.

Because the overrunning clutches bolt directly to the PTO, and unless the PTO spline is worn to the point of being sloppy, I would just get a clutch in the original 1 1/8" size and LocTite 660 to eliminate any micro-movement in the PTO spline to clutch union.

Usual slop on these systems will be found in a worn driveshaft yoke, as it is a softer material so it is sacrificial over time and not chew up the PTO itself from dirt in the union.

7. 19442N

19442N New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    The previous owner was using a spline adapter on the PTO shaft. So I thought by installing the conversion shaft it wouldn't be necessary to replace yoke. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

8. RC Wells

RC Wells Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Should be standard yoke then.

19442N likes this.