Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the car is finally out of the paint booth. It has been a long road with letting someone make a mold from it, then had to take it down to the bare metal again before primer, paint, and clear.

The front fenders, running boards, grill shell, and hood are still in the bodyshop. The rear fenders are just setting there- they are not bolted on yet.

The car is kinda dusty. We need to wait another month or so before we can wax it. After putting on the fenders, running boards, grill shell and glass, all we have left is putting the interior in. The intire enterior including the steering column was removed prior to paint. The front fenders and running boards are the only fiberglass parts on it...the rest is steel.

The exhaust is stainless steel, and still needs to be polished. The aluminum 351 Windsor parts such as valve covers, intake, headers, water pump, etc. are jet coated.

Were still missing the windshield from the first body shop, and after getting all the windows cut from tinted safety glass, somehow one of the door glass windows got the corner chipped off. I still need to clean it up good and touch up a couple small chips and scratches in the paint.

But other than that, it is starting to come together. As soon as this is done, were going to start on a 427 Cobra replica.

Just thought i'd share a few pics for anyone interested...

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And heres one more of the exhaust. Now, I'm gonna go back out to the garage, crank up some oldies, and have a few cold ones! :)

Thanks for looking,
Greg

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Looks great Greg know you cant wait to finish it. I know i cant wait to see it finish. Once again looks great:thumbsup: :driving:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looks great. I like the GM 350s but it seems like everybody has one. Nice to see something else for a change.
Just one question..................how do you keep your shop soooooooo clean ??????????????
:question: :question: :question: :question:
Rodster

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Tim Allen could not possibly do a better "Aaagh, aaagh, aaagh". Years of work yield a major testosterone trip when you can finally envision actually driving it.

It's still gonna take some work. I spent almost a couple hours polishing up the intake and right side header. I have to put it up on jackstands and polish everything chrome, stainless, and aluminum...the exhaust will take some time. The chrome oil pan looks like crap, so I plan to go with a 7 qt. Cobra pan just for clearance. The bottom of the front crossmember is about 4" from the ground.

The 351 Windsor is somewhat mild, but it is meant to cruise. At just over 2,100 lbs., it's not gonna take much to make it move anyway.

The pics do it no justice, as again, my digital camera sucks, but I am anxious to see it after the glaze and a couple good coats of wax. It's already shiny enough that all 4 walls of the garage reflect in the paint.

Rodster- I'm surprised you can tell it's clean from the pics, but thanks for noticing. I try to keep all tools close at hand, but out of sight. It has only been about 15 months since we moved here, but I am starting to get my garage how I want it. I now have the same creature comforts that Jane has while sitting in the family room watching TV.

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. I'll be happy once the fenders and running boards are on. The wiring is gonna suck somewhat, as all wires will be ran through the frame rails. On a positive note, the brake lines are all ran. Hopefully soon I will be able to fire it up. At that point, basically all it needs is the steering column and shifter/linkage before I can drive it around the block.

Thanks again,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
GREAT car!!! Glad to see your using a Ford mill, and a 351W has always been my fav.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Wow, why don' t you do like Opra and hook us all up with our own custom street rod???? I'll vote for the Cobra myself!

:D

Just pullin your leg, that looks like a real nice ride, keep the pictures coming, and then we all can drool! :cry:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Stewart
Wow, why don' t you do like Opra and hook us all up with our own custom street rod???? I'll vote for the Cobra myself!

LOL...I for some unknown reason was watching her show awhile back. It was about people and their dreams. A guy on there wanted to sit in a Porsche. She brought a silver Boxter or 911 out, and let the guy sit in it. Before he got out of the car, she said "It's yours!".

Ingersoll- My neighbor from across the street came over while unloading it from the trailer. He seemed amazed that it had a Ford motor in it. I don't know whats wrong with people. :confused: No bowtie stuff here...no way. :D

I have been up til 4:00 am the last two nights messing around with it. Im gonna have to take a picture of Jane out in the garage before its all over with so I don't forget what she looks like. :furious:

Greg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have made a little progress. I have cleaned the car of pretty much all the compound, hit it with one good coat of glaze, and cant wait to see it waxed! I have also wiped down the frame and crossmembers, installed a bit of hardware, and installed the right rear fender...not a fun job by yourself.

I am now installing the hardware in the doors, including the window tracks and mechanisms, new felt and rubber, and glass seems to be next. I made arrangements to drop off the cracked window to have a replacement cut. I am basically killing time, waiting for the steering column and guages. At that point, the dreaded wiring will start.

It will still take awhile, as Sunday is the designated day for my dad to come over to work on it. We spent last Sunday pulling parts from boxes and discussing the build while watching the Talladega race over a few cold ones.

Yea, the car means alot to me, but it's still a materialistic thing. The best part of it all is the fact that after living in Florida for 18 years, he is now back in Ohio- about 55 minutes away. He was working on the car, along with me and my son Noah. We are both catching up, and Noah gets to see his grandpa. Just that alone is priceless...the car is just a bonus. Once my son is old enough to appreciate it for everything it is, and old enough to take care of it, it will be his. At present, I am just enjoying spending time with with someone responsible for making me what I am today...After 18 years, theres nothing much like "bonding" with Dad.

I will post a few more pics after I get them developed and scanned. I have gave up on my POS digital camera. :mad:

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
sounds like a great project Greg.:) Cant wait till my daughter is old enough to help out a bit in the shop. I have a car with her name on it, thats waiting for some work to be done to it:D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I am somewhat making progress. Sunday is the only day my dad is here, and it seems that we spend more time discussing what to do and how to do it. I then basically work on those things myself til next Sunday.

Anyway, the hardware and weatherstripping for the doors are installed. The tinted windows are cut and ready to go in, but I have decided to wait until I buff the entire car out and wax it; probably next spring when its warm so I can do it outside in the driveway.

The past couple weeks were spent taking a wire brush and drill to the inside floorpan, then sealing it with a rust inhibitor type paint. It's like POR-15, but not as expensive.

After trying to figure out a way to avoid 2 bolts sticking through the firewall to mount the fuse panel, I ended up having a piece of 1/8" aluminum cut to make a panel. The panel mounts up under the dashboard. Not only does it keep the firewall uncluttered, it will make it easier to keep the 4 individual harness' organized. Tomorrow, we will decide where to run the front and rear harness', as they will go through the frame rails. Right now, Im trying to think of ways to conceal the wires for the engine (ignition module, coil, distributor, starter solenoid, temp. sending unit, oil pressure sending unit, and elec. choke wires). The other three harness' should be pretty easy.

Last night, I got the guages installed in the dashboard, and wired up all the ground and hot wires to them, leaving simply a connector for pos. and one for neg. Other than hooking up the mechanical wires to the guages, it's pretty much "plug and play".

Just an update. Thanks for lookin! :)

Greg

Heres a pic of the aluminum panel...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts